reds win at kettering

Go down

reds win at kettering

Post  in2thevalley on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am

With Kettering registering virtually a whole new squad over the previous 24 hours the only remaining players from the old squad were Michael King and Will Muzvimbiri with Joel Gyasi re-registered. The average age of the team was around 20.Daniel Crowie, released from Bedford Town,Nathan Hicks released from Evesham and one time Corby player,Troy Johnston were amongst the starting eleven.

Redditch lost skipper Alex Hickman in the pre match warm up and David Bridgwater deputised.


Kettering’s players were literally introduced to each other by Caretaker Manager Alan Doyle prior to kick off with a number of the team not having played a competitive match for a while.

On a good surface the game opened quietly with both teams feeling their way. It was not until the 7thminute that the first shot saw Kettering keeper Yannick Nlate easily take Stuart Hendrie’s low right foot effort. The Poppies responded immediately and Troy Johnston saw his low drive go past the right post.

The lively Jake Reid almost put Redditch in front on 11 minutes as he drove forward down the left and his left foot shot scraped along the bar.

Kettering were awarded a penalty in the 21stminute. Asa Charlton tripped Will Muzvimbiri – but Nathan Hicks’ spot kick brought a fine save from James Wren to his right.

Muzvimbiri then produced a good run to set up Hicks for a shot which Wren saved. Michael King’s direct free kick sailed out of the ground and at the other end David Bridgwater’s shot was saved by Nlate.

Johnston fired a late effort wide.

At the break, Kettering had given a very good account of themselves and were unlucky not to be in front.

Half Time:

Kettering Town 0 - 0 Redditch United

The Poppies could have taken the lead in the 53rdminute as striker Solomon Akinshade beat his marker and closed in on goal- only to lack the final control which allowed Wren to come out and smother the ball.

It was then Redditch's turn for a penalty as Adam Mitter hauled down Reid.Connor Beard's penalty was beaten away by Nlate to his right.

Within minutes, Redditch had their best chance to date as Deards broke clear, only to lob his shot wide. Wren saved from Michael King and Hicks had a shot blocked as the Poppies continued with open flowing football.

With a quarter of the game to go, Joel Gyasi got in a great challenge to clear the ball as it was crossed into the six yard box from the right.

Kettering came forward again and King’s shot was saved. Redditch finally threatened again on 76 minutes and Nlate produced a great save to his left from Hendrie’s shot.

With Redditch bringing on two substitutes the Kettering eleven could be seen to be tiring with 10 minutes to go- as could be expected and Redditch slowly gained a grip on the game.

Reid’ right foot flick with the outside of his boot was only just over the bar and substitute Joel Grandison fired over.

With three minutes to go Charlton glanced his header wide from a corner and then substitute Leavi Osungbure saw his deflected shot come off the post and straight into the arms of Nlate.

The final whistle could not come quick enough for the brave Poppies as,in the last minute of normal time, Charlton’s measured cross from the left was headed in by Reid.

There was still time for another effort by Reid as he turned and fired just over.

Full Time:

Kettering Town 0 - 1 Redditch United

Attendance: 487
Football League
Football League

Posts : 1640
Location : Here
Join date : 2011-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum