Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Histon about to be the next failed club?

4 posters

Go down

Are Histon about to be the next failed club? Empty Are Histon about to be the next failed club?

Post  ted striker Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:46 am

I see that Histon have postponed today's BSN game with Colwyn Bay due to ongoing financial problems:

Histon call off Colwyn Bay game

I wonder if the Conference board will be as lenient with them as the Southern League have been with Kettering.

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Are Histon about to be the next failed club? Empty Re: Are Histon about to be the next failed club?

Post  allotmentender Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

ted striker wrote:I see that Histon have postponed today's BSN game with Colwyn Bay due to ongoing financial problems:

Histon call off Colwyn Bay game

I wonder if the Conference board will be as lenient with them as the Southern League have been with Kettering.

I remember going to watch Redditch away at Histon in the FA Cup in 1990, at the time Histon were probably the equivalent of Studley these days, we were considered the big club by their supporters!!!
Obviously in the meantime (bearing in mind this was 22 years ago, sh*t I feel old Senile ) they have had a sugar daddy pumping alot of money into the club and have enjoyed some great success in the league and cups!!The problem is, is they're a small village club who are never going to be capable of attracting a large fan base and when that money stopped, it would spell the end for them!!!

Question is, would you rather we stay as we are, or have a sugar daddy pump money in and have 10 glory years the same as Histon playing in the conference and beating teams like Leeds in the FA Cup (as Histon did) ??

The thing that get's me thinking is, Redditch is a big town with a population that could easily support a big club, but it's that population that worries me!!! I then think Redditch could be in the premiershit and these people wouldn't bother, I can imagine the Crook & Vandal, Winyates, Sticky Wicket etc etc... being full of people watching sky sports centre cheering as Redditch take the lead against Man Utd at the Valley Rolling Eyes
It's a tough call for me, even though I can't go to games, I can see people on here are getting more and more frustrated by the week!!!!
allotmentender
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Are Histon about to be the next failed club? Empty Re: Are Histon about to be the next failed club?

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:38 am

Our population is around 84,300.

42,400 of that population is female, leaving 41,900 male inhabitants. I know we have a few female followers, but this is very minimal compared to the male following.

of that 41,900, I'd say the ages range between 12-69 - leaving 33,000.

A large portion of that 33,000 will be Polish/Asian etc. of which we never see down the Valley. Let's say 10% for argument's sake.

This leave us with around 29,700 people to target.

Take into consideration the current financial climate & unemployment rate in our town alone, the local distractions (ie. Blues, Villa, WBA, Wolves), and how many of these are actually interested in football? That 29,700 soon drops dramatically.

Now try convincing the remaining few thousand to pay £10 to watch poor quality football at a depressing stadium.

I'm sure there are many other factors I've missed out as the above only took me 5 mins to look up.

Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 am

Redditchbluenose86 wrote:Our population is around 84,300.

42,400 of that population is female, leaving 41,900 male inhabitants. I know we have a few female followers, but this is very minimal compared to the male following.

A large portion of that 33,000 will be Polish/Asian etc. of which we never see down the Valley. Let's say 10% for argument's sake.

Take into consideration the current financial climate & unemployment rate in our town alone, the local distractions (ie. Blues, Villa, WBA, Wolves), and how many of these are actually interested in football? That 29,700 soon drops dramatically.

Now try convincing the remaining few thousand to pay £10 to watch poor quality football at a depressing stadium.

I'm sure there are many other factors I've missed out as the above only took me 5 mins to look up.

Some very interesting research Batesy, could you possibly look into it a bit more for me and find out where the surplus 500 birds go on a Saturday night!!! Very Happy
oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 am

oldtommo wrote:

Some very interesting research Batesy, could you possibly look into it a bit more for me and find out where the surplus 500 birds go on a Saturday night!!! Very Happy

Follow the seagulls mate Wink
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:07 am

That's not meant to cause further depression, but to highlight just some of the obstacles we face.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 am

Redditchbluenose86 wrote:
oldtommo wrote:

. What, you mean they go and watch Brighton play??

oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 am

oldtommo wrote:
Redditchbluenose86 wrote:
oldtommo wrote:

. What, you mean they go and watch Brighton play??

How did I know that was coming!?
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am

Your either psychic or on the same wavelength as me! For your sake I hope it's the 1st one!!!!
oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:26 am

Agree with all that, but my other concern was trying to convince the remaining few thousand to pay and watch great football (or atleast winning football) from a team who've just had a couple of promotions, went on a run in the FA Cup and beat Leeds Utd and now sitting in the top 3 of the conference!!!

You make a good point about the Polish and Asians!!! A market we could maybe try to tap into, maybe either or though, could be fun otherwise Wink
Having been to Poland to watch football we may have to offer the chance of some mindless violence to get them interested!!!

allotmentender
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down