Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chairman's message

+2
porrohman
Bob Marley
6 posters

Go down

Chairman's message Empty Chairman's message

Post  Bob Marley Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:59 am

http://www.redditchutdfc.co.uk/news/the-chairmans-update-august/

Some very interesting points made..but he is right on all counts.
There is an apathy around the town generally....but that is not unique for Redditch...

The only way to entice fans is a good marketing strategy (media coverage has improved), good facilities (definately improved), a winning team....or something out of the ordinary (FA Cup run or move to new ground).

I would still like to see more done in the town...some ideas

1. After a home game, take the whole squad (dressed in club tracksuits) into town pubs to meet the younger generation
2. Before a home game, take the whole squad (dressed in club tracksuits) into town centre to meet the older generation
3. TRUST market stall before every home game with $1 discount vouchers
4. Parent reward - if a child brings an adult to the game, they get $3 reward
5. 1/2 season tickets for kids at $10....everytime they come to the game, they get $1 back
6. 3 for 2 specials...family tickets etc.
7. The 'free' game - donate on entry.
8. Bring a friend and earn $3

I am amazed by the progress of the club in 5 months...it's really quite incredible....but to think that people will turn around their Saturday afternoon habits just becasue the Reds are here and doing well.....will be a difficult challenge.

Onwards and upwards

Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Chairman's message Empty Re: Chairman's message

Post  porrohman Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:22 am

Let's not forget Mr Mark 'kiss the badge' Fenemore as well... fans favourite! cheers cheers
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 am

It’s nice to see Mr. Swan contributing this kind of article to the website. I hope it becomes a regular feature.

When he refers to regular crowds of 750, I have no idea what period he means? But it must be a long time ago. Crowds of 750 is a big ask. When we won the Dr Martens League, take away the gates against Bromsgrove and Gloucester, and the average crowd was maybe 350 ish? We were top of the league for almost the entire season, with a bankrolled team of talented players, and it still didn’t increase our crowds significantly.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we can rely on bigger crowds to increase the playing budget. Realistically, for the playing budget to increase, it will be from off the field revenues I.e. hiring out the function room, bar takings, commercial sponsorships etc.

I talk about the reds to anyone who will listen. I have so many friends, relatives, acquaintances that show an interest and an intention to come to the games. But when it actually comes down to it, they are nowhere to be seen. We all know that £9 admission is the going rate for this level, but to someone who has never been before, it seems like a lot of money. A free admission day is a must for me. It will overcome that initial big hurdle of getting people down in the first place. It would also provide a good indication of what our potential fan base could be.

I do think that we are probably at our ’natural level’ now. We will never reach the Conference National if doing so depends on better crowds. The only way to do so would be if Mr. Swan ‘invested’ (donated) millions. If I was him, I wouldn’t bother!!! Why throw money at a football club?

I’m really enjoying it at the moment. As I said, this is the level where we are comfortable and competitive. Maybe things might change in the distant future, but for now, I’m quite content. 6 months ago, I didn’t think I’d have a club to support!
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Exactly what I mean..
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/banburyunitedfootballclub/news/reduced-admission-prices-for-h-356231.html

$5 v Banbury...40 minutes down the M40...lovely....COME ON YOU REDS!!!!! Cool
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Isn't it Non League Day in a few weeks? If so a perfect opportunity if we are at home to promote the club
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lensman Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Just thought I would take a look at the new forum and the report from yesterdays game...

Went to the game with number 2 son and have to say how impressed I was with the significant improvements that have been made to the ground and facilities, from entering its obvious that there is now a really nice buzz about the place, nice comfy chairs in the bar, very drinkable beer, pretty barmaid to serve you with a smile (I thought I had gone to the wrong club).

It is obvious what Mr Swann, his wife and team have done for the club so far, well done to them.

I read with interest his recent statement on the website and of course he is factual with his comments and future desires for the club, I was also impressed how 'graphic and involved' they got into the game, I can imagine Mrs Swann doing a Delia 'Lets Be Having Ya' rallying cry on a wet Tuesday night..

The banter in the Cedar Road was as healthy as ever with the regulars proactively policing the occasional colourful langauge which as a parent I support.

Mr Marley you wont recognise the place when you next pop across the pond, I will have a pint on the bar for you when you do...they dont sell Budweisr though my friend or take US Dollars.

Looking forward to my next trip down, Lensman may have his camera with him next time, did notice lack of photographer there?

In summary, a good feeling down there and some good football being played at the RIGHT level....was a nice feeling thinking about the win rather than damage limitation...

See you all soon...

Lensman... Beer

Lensman
Sunday League

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:24 pm

del boy wrote:It’s nice to see Mr. Swan contributing this kind of article to the website. I hope it becomes a regular feature.

When he refers to regular crowds of 750, I have no idea what period he means? But it must be a long time ago. Crowds of 750 is a big ask. When we won the Dr Martens League, take away the gates against Bromsgrove and Gloucester, and the average crowd was maybe 350 ish? We were top of the league for almost the entire season, with a bankrolled team of talented players, and it still didn’t increase our crowds significantly.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we can rely on bigger crowds to increase the playing budget. Realistically, for the playing budget to increase, it will be from off the field revenues I.e. hiring out the function room, bar takings, commercial sponsorships etc.

I talk about the reds to anyone who will listen. I have so many friends, relatives, acquaintances that show an interest and an intention to come to the games. But when it actually comes down to it, they are nowhere to be seen. We all know that £9 admission is the going rate for this level, but to someone who has never been before, it seems like a lot of money. A free admission day is a must for me. It will overcome that initial big hurdle of getting people down in the first place. It would also provide a good indication of what our potential fan base could be.

I do think that we are probably at our ’natural level’ now. We will never reach the Conference National if doing so depends on better crowds. The only way to do so would be if Mr. Swan ‘invested’ (donated) millions. If I was him, I wouldn’t bother!!! Why throw money at a football club?

I’m really enjoying it at the moment. As I said, this is the level where we are comfortable and competitive. Maybe things might change in the distant future, but for now, I’m quite content. 6 months ago, I didn’t think I’d have a club to support!

Totally agree with this, I don't recall any period when we were getting 750 regularly although it has happened once in a blue moon. I remember the last game of the season about 4 years ago when we needed to beat Barrow to stay up and the crowd was about 700, I think I counted about 10 Barrow fans that day. Things like that give me hope that the potential may be there.

I am also more confident now in the way the club is being run. When we had those great seasons winning the Doc Martens and doing well in the Conference North it's clear now that things were not right behind the scenes and we were living beyond our means. I don't think enough was done in those days to 'sell' the club to the town and it always felt to me like a case of take or leave it.

We now seem to be reaching out to the community much more and if we can achieve success I think there is a greater chance of attracting more support with the way things are now being run.

I certainly agree that we have, for the time being at least, found our more natural level. It's obviously disappointing to get relegated but I do feel more at home in this league and I believe we can compete. My past experience with the club has always been that people will come to watch a winning team and it's that fact that gets the punters in, not necessarily the standard, certainly not one division below anyway.

Whilst I would love us to get back to where we were I don't see the point in going up to that level until things have settled a little more and I would certainly like to be getting 400, possibly 500 throught the gate for every game for that to happen. I'm sure none of us wants the club to start living beyond it's means again. Having said that I am confident that Mr Swann is not the sort of chaiman who is likely to let that happen.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down