Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday night football.

+13
arsene
fingers
Terrace Guy
porrohman
del boy
lewism5964
rawlings09
Bob Marley
Leethall
JBS
littleworthred
adiy price
allotmentender
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Friday night football. - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday night football.

Post  arsene Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:02 am

2.15 pm - Ooops!
arsene
arsene
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 am

allotmentender wrote:

03/09/11 home to Cirencester, attendance 276, none of 'big 4' at home.
08/10/11 home to Cambridge, attendance 271, none of 'big 4' at home.

So what can you read into that? Maybe it doesn't effect the crowds a great deal, but it is a fact that our 2 highest attendances have been when none of the 'big 4' have been at home on the same day!!!!

Cirencester... just down the road.
Cambridge... not far either.

The fact that our 2 highest attendances have been 2 of the closest teams we've played? We played leamington on a saturday.. 600 and something? Just down the road. The likes of Weymouth, Totton, Frome, Bashley aren't going to, and won't bring any more fans on a saturday than they would on a friday.
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 am

I am a big traditionalist....but sometimes you have to think outside of the box to see other opportunities...most recent example is the 20/20 cricket league.

The explosion of interest in this form of the game has gone hand-in-hand with the super success of the national side...more media coverage (money in)...more interest (money out).

Time to look at midweek games...Tuesday/Wednesday nights are old fashioned and clash with everything going on TV.

Some ideas:
1. Change the day to Thursday (Eufa Cup not the same interest). Friday is 'going out night' so leave alone.
2. Bundle admission ticket with next home game (buy 2 for $12?).
3. Offer free tea/coffee.
4. Offer 'midweek club'...attend all home games and have invitation to end of season awards (are we going to have one this term?), free away travel to 1 game, etc etc.
5. Put 'classic' games on the big screen from 6pm (plenty of DVD's I can donate)...work, happ hour, footy..
6. Invite one of the youth teams to play in advance of the 1st team...OK, the lights are on for another 30 minutes but they are on anyway from 6.30pm...Moms/Dads will stay around for the main game? Impact on pitch etc to be considered?

Others?
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am

rawlings09 wrote:
allotmentender wrote:

03/09/11 home to Cirencester, attendance 276, none of 'big 4' at home.
08/10/11 home to Cambridge, attendance 271, none of 'big 4' at home.

So what can you read into that? Maybe it doesn't effect the crowds a great deal, but it is a fact that our 2 highest attendances have been when none of the 'big 4' have been at home on the same day!!!!

Cirencester... just down the road.
Cambridge... not far either.

The fact that our 2 highest attendances have been 2 of the closest teams we've played? We played leamington on a saturday.. 600 and something? Just down the road. The likes of Weymouth, Totton, Frome, Bashley aren't going to, and won't bring any more fans on a saturday than they would on a friday.

I thought we played Leamington on a Monday, when none of the big 4 were playing either, I know of Leamington/Villa fans (who I met in Hong Kong for Villa's pre season tour) who went, who wouldn't of had Villa been playing!!!
Also, I think Hemel Hempstead might be closer than Cambridge!!!
Obviously, I haven't been to any of the home league games this season, can someone please give a rough guestimate on the number of away fans at the 4 Saturday home games!!!
allotmentender
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 am

It may have been a monday.

But back to Tuesday/Friday night matchdays... don't you end up using floodlights more? Tuesday nights, Friday nights, training would have to be rearranged? And then the lights would need to be on. The Pitch would get a good seeing to and not alot of time to recover..

I just can't see it working.
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 pm

rawlings09 wrote: I just can't see it working.

Exactly what Hoover said to Mr Dyson...

The rest is history.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 pm

How do you know without trying a Friday night? Ok the odd 1 or 2 people may not be able to make it but that I believe would be far outweighed with the additional people you would get through the gate.

Change is hard for people to comprehend, we should be trying to improve and Sat afternoons are poorly attended. Tamworth proved this works as have other teams, don't knock it till it has been tried. I'd say we would get a lot more through the gates, people that play Sat's, kids with parents, people who stay in on Fri evenings (Redditch is dead on a Fri night), people who have had a long week at work and want some fresh air & a few beers etc...

Oh and Allotmentender, there are no big 4 clubs in the Midlands, just poor Premier League clubs Very Happy!
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  littleworthred Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 am

Bob Marley wrote:I am a big traditionalist....but sometimes you have to think outside of the box to see other opportunities...most recent example is the 20/20 cricket league.

The explosion of interest in this form of the game has gone hand-in-hand with the super success of the national side...more media coverage (money in)...more interest (money out).

Time to look at midweek games...Tuesday/Wednesday nights are old fashioned and clash with everything going on TV.

Some ideas:
1. Change the day to Thursday (Eufa Cup not the same interest). Friday is 'going out night' so leave alone.
2. Bundle admission ticket with next home game (buy 2 for $12?).
3. Offer free tea/coffee.
4. Offer 'midweek club'...attend all home games and have invitation to end of season awards (are we going to have one this term?), free away travel to 1 game, etc etc.
5. Put 'classic' games on the big screen from 6pm (plenty of DVD's I can donate)...work, happ hour, footy..
6. Invite one of the youth teams to play in advance of the 1st team...OK, the lights are on for another 30 minutes but they are on anyway from 6.30pm...Moms/Dads will stay around for the main game? Impact on pitch etc to be considered?

Others?
(1)I think Tuesday changed with Thursday could work and agree Friday is going out night.
(2)The Club are looking at incentive style prices and how best this can work
(3)always a risk of losses with free consumables, worth a look at though on the midweek games.
(4)due to a large amount of club events at the beginning of December we are postponing LEGENDS NIGHT as we want this and all events to be well attended and successful, The club are looking at doing something in the lines of an awards Evening and may combine this with LEGENDS and Party at the end of the season.
(5)The t.v's as you know are now working and so will be on during match days for results etc., although all cables are now wired and connected we have not been able to extend viewing to the projector/big screen(we are working on this though). Showing Classic games is a great idea and done in many sports pubs, your donations would be gratefully received mate.
(6) we have tried this on both night games and Saturday games, both were a success as yes parents came to watch but many left before the main game. A few did not want to pay to watch there kids and we gave them there money back if they left before the 1st team KO. so the numbers for the main game were not much different if any to other games, we will do this again as well as youth teams leading first team on to the field, training on the pitch before the Game and the youth section in the programme(which has increased sales). 2 games on the pitch on the same day though has to be limited due to impact on the pitch especially this time of the year.
littleworthred
littleworthred
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  SID SNOT Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:46 am

It could work if it is marketed properly, something the club has never been very good at. We missed two big opportunities to promote the club and get people through the turn styles this year, Leamington on Bank Holiday Monday and Cirencester on Non League Day (3rd September).

I would have a big play on the whole 'family fun' idea. A couple of big mascots parading around before the game, giving out sweets/freebies (a bit like Ken Rae used to on Haloween), 11 mascots for every game, half time penalty shoot outs, family tickets etc, etc. You could maybe get some of the players out into the schools in the week leading up to the game giving out free tickets if they come with a paying adult. I know if my daughter came back from school with a free ticket for something and really wanted to go, the chances are I would take her as most parents would.

I lived in Leicester in the early nineties and whilst getting a couple of hundred for reserve team games, they changed these fixtures into 'Family Fun Nights' and started getting 3000+ regularly. From memory Colchester and Tranmere both used to play on Friday nights to avoid clashing with bigger clubs on the Saturday and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm definitely in favour of this idea. Although we are on quite a good run at the moment, I would me amazed if there are many more than 200 at the Arsley game on Saturday. We need to try something and what is the worse that can happen?
SID SNOT
SID SNOT
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 am

I'm up for Friday nights. It's a going out for all you young bucks but different story for us married folk. Great point by Fingers..you have to consider travelling time for the opposition etc and if they'd fit in. Do a curry in a basket for a fiver after the game and Bob Marley is your uncle ( and Mrs Moor your aunt).
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 pm

For me, Friday night games is simply a non starter. It will do nothing to raise attendances; it will simply halve them. You don't always have to experiment to find out what works and what doesn't...just rely on your own instinct and common sense.

I've always believed that a good run in the FA Cup is the best way (in the short term at least) to raise a non league clubs profile and raise attendances. Nothing else comes close. OK, it's not something that clubs can control, but it's the most effective way to raise crowds. Sadly, our club has a woeful history in the FA Cup.

I'm intrigued to see what happens with Stourbridges' attendances in the coming weeks.
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

They'll go up.
Winning football matches brings the crowds in.
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Exactly, winning games brings the crowds in... Playing on a friday night won't.

I'm dead against it.
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:48 am

Redditch is dead on Friday nights. I wouldn't be caught in Fever on a friday its dead and full of the dregs of Redditch Laughing I'm bit skeptical with Friday nights but I think it should be trialed, it is something that we have never tried so why not give it one chance?
lewism5964
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 am

As a member of Everton Football Club I have just received this which is a good idea:

Buy now for Norwich (17 Dec) and get Swansea (21 Dec) half price. Adults from £30 juniors half price. Call 0871 663 1878 charges apply. Reply STOP to opt out.

Something in advance of Xmas to consider
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 am

rawlings09 wrote:Exactly, winning games brings the crowds in... Playing on a friday night won't.

I'm dead against it.

Only because you work.

I see no harm in trialling this and by marketing it properly I am confident that you could get a lot more people through the gate to watch the game and the bar would take a hell of a lot more money than a Saturday afternoon. I know some people can't make Fridays but this is a few, there are people who like Sat afternoon football but they would still turn up if it was a Friday.

Try it and if it works you reap the benefits (increased gate, money in, bar takings etc), if it doesn't work then the club loses very little as crowds are dwindling anyway and my view is that will continue between now & Xmas
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:49 am

It's alright, i can book it off work Wink

It just doesn't seem right not going to watch football on a friday night, if the club are going to market it and try it then that's fine. Just give me 2 weeks notice for the day Wink Saying that, if it's going to be done properly then surely it would take more than two weeks to market?

The opposition would have to be given a fair bit of notice?
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:58 am

Surely you would have to get the away teams to agree to it too. Why would any away team agree to this? They don’t care about our attendances!!! The players at this level have full time jobs in the week. I’d imagine many have to book half days off work for a midweek game. We can’t expect players to potentially do this twice in a week! It’s no good quoting league clubs that have trialled this, they all have full time players. Friday night football is a non starter.

If we did experiment with moving away from a Saturday afternoon kick off, then I’d suggest Sunday.

del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:46 am

So what you gain in home fans you lose in away fans... a few teams this season will outnumber our home support, ie Leamington, is it worth losing 300 away fans to gain 100 home fans?

And if we don't win, those fans that would come on a friday night, soon wouldn't and your'e back to the same scenario on that we get on a saturday, but you have to put the floodlights on longer, players leave work earlier, not many away fans will fancy it and chances are it's going to be cold...
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:16 am

Leethall wrote:As a member of Everton Football Club I have just received this which is a good idea:

Buy now for Norwich (17 Dec) and get Swansea (21 Dec) half price. Adults from £30 juniors half price. Call 0871 663 1878 charges apply. Reply STOP to opt out.

Something in advance of Xmas to consider

Ahem...."this is non-league not the premiership" Wink

I see you're point, and I'm all for trying something new.

BUT....I personally can't see it making a diff, and if it does it will be the reverse effect.
As previously stated, there have been Saturdays in the past where no local clubs have been playing (blues vile baggies etc), yet the attendances haven't been dramatically different.
I don't think our gates reflect local distractions, but a general apathy around the town which has been clearly to see for a while.

I think club promotion is the way forward (see Bob's list of great ideas).
Together with the recent performances, I think will boost our profile and bring in new faces.

Trouble is at this time of year, it takes a good reason to stand out in the freezing cold, unfortunately Redditch United isn't everyones favoured option.

Making the Valley a starting point for a Saturday knees up before people go into town to pull fat girls is what we need to do.
Drinks offers, Soccer Saturday on the big screen Loud so people can keep upto date with prem results As well as watch Redditch, whilst staying warm and dry in the clubhouse. That would tempt me into coming down regulary if I wasn't already a regular.
Pints in Plastics for outside, this is done EVERYWHERE ELSE in the league, and gives that laid back feeling all around.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:27 am

Other than the sportsman, are there any other sports bars in Redditch? Maybe something we could tap into.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:48 am

Stratford Town use there bar area as a pub whenever there isn't a matchday.

I think its open 3-4 nights a week. There's 1 dart board and that's it. Where as we have 3? And a pool table.

Might be worth opening the bar area on a friday night rather than play fixtures, then you won't need the floodlights.
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 am

Thinking about it I went to a fair few Chesterfield matches on a friday night after school as my mate supported them so I was always up for going along to watch some different footie. Far as i can remember the attendances from both sets of fanswere good and some of these games were in the freezing cold of november and december! I enjoyed it too, was end of the week at school so I loved it on a friday night going there. Although this is before I had a job or uni so was no problem of having to work on these days like Joe mentioned.
lewism5964
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:05 am

rawlings09 wrote:It's alright, i can book it off work Wink

It just doesn't seem right not going to watch football on a friday night,

I know what you're saying, and good to see you coming around to the idea now Wink
allotmentender
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Carlin Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

Perhaps it has been mentioned in this thread earlier so apologies if if has, but I note Evesham will host Hitchen on Sunday 4th December. It will be worth watching if it does effect the crowds.......it may help them achieve double figures!
Captain Carlin
Captain Carlin
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next