Redditch United 2-3 Hinckley United

Go down

Redditch United 2-3 Hinckley United

Post  fingers on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 am

Report from the Redditch Advertiser

I hope there is just as much debate about Jenko's ratings as mine!?!?!

By Paul Jenkins »

Redditch United 2 Hinckley United 3.

Redditch were cruelly denied a chance to go off the bottom of the table after a late Hinckley comenback.

With Stafford losing and Redditch two up, it looked like it was going to be a day of celebrations as Redditch looked to haul themselves off the foot of the table.

Even at 2-1 it looked like they might hold on, but goals in the 90th and 93rd minute meant they didn't even get to take a point for all their efforts on a mud-heap of a pitch which was only passed playable just before the game.

The home side were always going to be up against it after having goalkeeper Jimmy Dormand sent off on the half hour, with forward Jemiah Richards going in goal.

But they managed to take a second half two goal lead through on-loan Matt Smith before the pressure told and Hinckley launched their late-late show.

Redditch had the better of the earlier exchanges, with Wayne Dyer having a shot saved and Marco Adaggio and Josh Quaynor both going close.

But Dormand saw red on 30 minutes when in dealing with a long ball forward he was adjudged to have handled deliberately outside the penalty area.

With no substitute goalkeeper, Adaggio was sacrificed for Richards, who managed to keep Hinckley at bay well.

Dan Newton got away from the Redditch defence and shot wide for the visitors and just after the break, Jermaine Clarke thought he had scored but his shot hit the side netting.

Clarke should have scored a minute later but his weak header from a cross by Lloyd Kerry was easily saved.

Redditch took the lead on 52 minutes when Josh Quaynor played a delightful through ball for Smith to beat the offside trap and apply a good finish.

Then on 59, the same two players combined when Quaynor put a low cross in from the left and Smith was there again to make it two.

Newton got one back on 64 minutes with a header from closer range and with over 25 minutes left it proved to long for Redditch to hold out and eventually the pressure told.

Hinckley substitute Ben Fairclough got the equaliser right on the stroke of normal time ending when he headed in from close range after a scramble in the box.

Redditch then faced a nervous time just to preserve a point and three minutes into added time, Hinckley skipper Gavin Strachan scored straight from a free kick to leave Redditch empty handed.

A more reasoned, intelligent, personable, hard working and simply nice person than Redditch manager Matt Gardiner you would find it hard to meet.

He’s the sort of bloke you would want your daughter to bring home with her to meet the parents.

When he questioned the referee at half time about Dormand’s sending off, it’s easy to believe he put his hand up and asked for permission to speak first.

For him to be denied anything from this game in such a cruel way left many at the Valley Stadium wondering whether there really is any justice in football at times.

Dormand 6; Spencer 7; Timmins 7; Fitzpatrick 6; Ayres 6; Hull6; Newbury 6; Dyer 7; Smith 7; Adaggio 5; QUAYNOR 8.

Substitutes: Richards (for Adaggio 31); Edwards (for Fitzpatrick 58).

Unused: Ager; Hurren; Green.

Referee: T Harty (Wolverhampton) 6.
Evo-Stik Prem

Posts : 377
Location : Redditch
Join date : 2011-01-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum