Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

+17
porrohman
ted striker
del boy
drummer boy
nevergreen
Leethall
Dazza
1Youngy1
Bob Marley
Tim_S
in2thevalley
JBS
rawlings09
SID SNOT
Redditchbluenose86
fingers
redsfan
21 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season. Empty Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Post  redsfan Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:31 am

Last edited by Redditchbluenose86 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged)

redsfan
Midland Combination League

Back to top Go down

Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season. Empty Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Post  fingers Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 am

Advertiser news piece here;
http://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/sport/8827847.Redditch_get_rid_of_playing_budget__boss_considers_his_future_/

Full statement fro the club quoted below;

Redditch Utd F.C. has taken the sad but necessary step of cutting the playing budget to zero, with immediate effect, in an effort to ensure the club's long term future and financial sustainability.

The decision comes following arguably 2 of the teams best performances this season, with a narrow 1 vs 0 defeat at 5th placed Boston Utd followed by a 1 vs 1 draw at table toppers Nuneaton Town on Saturday but as club Chairman, Ken Rae, pointed out despite these performances the lack of money into the club through investment and dwindling gate receipts has forced his hand. Ken said, "I have had many sleepless nights recently with regard to the financial situation at the club and since November last year I personally have had to 'top up' the gate receipts with my own cash to ensure the players and the bills have been paid on time but I can no longer continue to do this, I have a Wife and young Daughter whom I have to support and our family life is suffering as a result of this situation and there comes a time when you have to take a reality check and say 'enough is enough' which sadly I have had to do in this case. We have not had the rub of the green in many games recently and lady luck has deserted us and that is why we find ourselves bottom of the league but the level of commitment, desire and effort from the players has been tremendous week in and week out. Ironically we are now playing some of the best football we have played all season and we are really starting to compete but that does not change the fact that the gate receipts are the lowest they have been since I got involved with the club 8 years ago and with less than 190 fans turning up for 4 out of the last 6 home games the sums simply don't add up – we are getting in less than we have to pay out, it's as simple as that and if we want the club to be here next season and in 5, 10, 15 years to come I need to take action now! I would be doing the club, the loyal, hard core fans and all those who work tirelessly, for free, behind the scenes, an injustice if I were to increase the debt the club already has in an effort to survive in this league, for it to then go into administration in the summer, so we will look to get the club on a much more even financial footing between now and August through this action and the fundraising initiatives we have planned for the closed season and then whatever league we are in next season we can hopefully rebuild and kick on from there with possibly a bigger playing budget than this season"

The Chairman and First Team Manager, Matt Gardiner, along with Assistant Manager, John Snape, sat down with the players last night at the club ahead of training to break the news as they wanted to ensure everyone had the chance to air their points of view and to consider their position with the club for the remainder of the season. The meeting went well and whilst the players and management team appreciated the honesty of the Chairman they asked for time to consider whether or not they would stay on and effectively play 'for free' for the remaining 17 matches. The management team of Matt Gardiner and John Snape are also considering their positions and an announcement will be made in the next day or so regarding this situation.

Club Chairman, Ken Rae, said of the management team and the players, "I feel for all of them especially Matt (Gardiner) and John (Snape) as they took on the job this season under very difficult circumstances, fully aware of the constraints in which they were going to have to work and with easily the lowest budget in the league. For them to put together the squad of players we currently have at the club, now competing against the top sides in the league, is a testament to their ability and character. Not once have either of them knocked on my door asking for more money or bemoaned the situation the club is in, both Matt and John have been consummate professionals who have gone about their business in a positive, truly committed and dedicated fashion from day one and I will be forever grateful to them both for doing what they have done for the club considering what they had to work with. I sincerely hope that they both stay on as they are a pleasure to work with and I am certain that with them at the helm next season we can have a real go - with hopefully a better budget for them to work with."

Regarding the players Ken said, "I feel for them all and am genuinely sorry it has come to this and it is in no way a reflection of the results or performances on the pitch but whilst players are a club's biggest asset, they are also a club's biggest expense and when cuts have to be made unfortunately the playing budget is the first to suffer, although the budget these guys have worked on is by far the lowest in the league it is still an expense the current income cannot support. I would like to thank them all (including those who have left the club since the start of the season) for their professionalism and commitment to Redditch Utd Football Club, many of them have had offers of more money and the opportunity to play at a higher level from other clubs, both in this league and the Conference Premier but admirably they have turned these offers down and have stayed loyal to us and battled in difficult circumstances. My wish is that they all stay till at least the end of the season and we can see this through together, wherever we end up, as they are a great bunch of lads but I fully appreciate that many of them have their futures to consider and they may well want to leave to further their ambitions and they will be allowed to leave with immediate effect and with my blessing, heartfelt thanks and best wishes for the future, if any of them want help in finding another club I and my staff will do all that we can to help them"

Finally with regard to the loyal fans of the club Ken had the following to say, "I feel for the loyal, hard core supporters this club has, who turn up week after week, and part with their hard earned cash, whatever the weather and whatever the score to cheer on their team. When we tried to raise much needed funds for the club just before Christmas inviting local businesses to invest it was in actual fact those loyal fans that came to the fore and pledged hundreds of pounds to help and had it not been for those pledges and donations the club would surely be in an even more dire financial situation than it currently finds itself in but despite these fantastic efforts and those of TRUST (The Redditch Utd Supporters Trust) the attendances have continued to fall and hence the money through the turnstiles with it and I have a responsibility, as Club Chairman, to ensure THEIR football club is here for future generations to enjoy. For that reason and that reason alone I have made this difficult decision because at the end of the day I have a duty to them and I promise that however hard the decision is I will not shy away from making it if it is in the interests of the football club and those who commit a large part of their lives to it and I hope that whilst some of them may not agree and support my decision at the moment, they will continue to support the team for the remainder of this season, whoever pulls on a Red shirt and in time they will come to realise that the decision was the correct one and was made to ensure the long term future of the Redditch Utd Football Club"

Further press releases will follow in the coming days following today's announcement but in the meantime the club hopes that the real Redditch Utd fans will attend the match at The Valley Stadium, this Saturday vs Hyde, kick off 3pm in what is a proverbial 'relegation 6 pointer' and show their support for the Chairman, management team, players and their club.

If any individual or business is interested in investing in the club then please contact Club Secretary, Tim Delaney.

fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season. Empty Re: Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Post  Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:20 am

Well guy's at least we know where we're at, I suppose we wait for a couple of days and see what the response is from Matt, John and the Team. pale Whatever happens they have all been sterling Cup

Back to top Go down

Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season. Empty Re: Redditch United 'cut playing budget to zero' for remainder of the season.

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 am

Word is they've gone...

But not 100% confirmed so we'll have to wait and see if it's officially announced
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SID SNOT Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 am

Ken Rae has made an absolute mess of running this football club. We were in absolute disarray prior to this announcement and I’m sorry but the majority of the blame has to lie at his door.

There has been absolute no controls in place to market the club to the local community under his chairmanship and he wonders why the crowds are suddenly below 200. In knowing we will have a reduced playing budget this season, nothing is done in the summer to secure investment and he is surprised that there is no interest at Christmas when we are routed to the bottom of the table. Absolutely no initiative is shown in fund raising activities and his recent reliance on the TRUST to be carrying out very basic responsibilities which should be within his remit is a joke.

It is quite obvious that he hasn’t got any of the business acumen required to run such an operation and unfortunately he has bought these sleepness nights on himself with his total incompetence since becoming chairman.

This is personally the final straw for me and I won’t be attending another game until this idiot leaves the club.
SID SNOT
SID SNOT
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:34 am

If the players follow, we could see our fan's team in Blue Square North action!
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 am

I'll play for free!

It'd get me out of working a saturday at the pub :dance: :dance: :dance:
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 am

I can see many echoing Sid's sentiments, the effort over the last few months has been sterling but the club was run irresponsibly for too long.

To single Ken out I feel is a bit unfair though. Remember those directors who are no longer there who sanctioned spending wildly above and beyond the clubs means, even after Pat Cremin's departure, with no plan or infrastructure to support it. I must point out though that I do not include Pete Finnegan in that criticism, who tried unsuccesfully to remedy these problems back in the summer of 2008; he was forced out and the consequences are now starting to accumulate.

This is a result of long term profligacy, not just by Ken. He's been easily lead before and there are other people laughing their b*ll*cks off now while Ken and his family continue to wade through the mounds of sh*t they've been left in.

fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:42 am

I'd pay to play!

There's an idea.....auction off the playing positions! You're paying to be able to say you've played a game in the 6th tier of the English Football League Laughing
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 am

fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 am

sh*t.

Well, all the best to them. They stepped up to a job that not many people would have taken!
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  JBS Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am

As much as I am in support of whatever team we manage to put out and have sympathy for the Rae's with the clubs financial situation, I seriously dont know if I can be bothered anymore. Had a few extra coming down on Saturday but I think I have just lost all enthusiasm now.

Meh, sure it will pass.

** Edit **

After digesting the initial disappointment, I obviously will be there on Sat its just extra annoying on the back of two encouraging performance and I was starting to believe we may just be able to pull something out. Im sure my dissapointment is nothing compared to Matt/Johns/the players.

If it is what was needed to be done then fair play and well done to Ken for having the balls to do it, but it should never have got this far in the first place.

Last edited by JBS on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total

JBS
Evo-Stik Division one

http://twitter.com/redditch_united

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 am

I'm still going down! I don't care if i'm the only one there!!

UTR! :dance:
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 am

Thanks for everything Gards and Snappers, and best of luck for the future Beer Cheers
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 am

Who do they turn to now?
fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:01 am

Rod Brown to do a Ken a favour while they sort something permanent out?
fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  JBS Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:02 am

Would like the say thanks to Matt Gardiner and John Snape as well, have done a great job all things considered.

JBS
Evo-Stik Division one

http://twitter.com/redditch_united

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:07 am

I wish Gards and Snapper all the best. Beer Cheers Beer Cheers
in2thevalley
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim_S Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:23 am

Would like to echo the above and wish them both well in the future.

I would welcome them back with open arms should our finincial situation improve
Tim_S
Tim_S
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:23 am

A very sad day....but I agree with the decision to cut the budget to zero.

Does Ken continue to subsidise the current team costs for us to finish bottom of the league? We will probably finish bottom anyway so any revenue gained between now and the end of the season is best spent continuing to pay debts and preparing for next season.

I think most of you know my feeling about how the club has been run in the past...we can not change that now, we can only look forward and ensure those mistakes are not made in the future.

We can discuss if it is the start of the downward spiral etc, but the bottom line is the club has not been financially managed within it's means for a very long time...now the price is being paid.

I agree the resources around the club should be managed better and focussed on the same ideas, but I can not criticise Ken for standing by the ship when others did not...I am disappointed with Matt and Snapper's actions, I understand it, but disappointed ,as you always feel a knee jerk reaction is not always the best decision...
I thank them for their tremendous effort, hours and heartache they have endured.

However, looking forward.....who ever puts on the red shirt for every game for the rest of the season will have my upmost respect and support. I just wish I could be on that Cedar Road stand on Saturday singing for every bloody player who has shown RUFC is in their heart and not the $50 they get after.....
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  1Youngy1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 am

Saw this day coming Head against wall
Could this put us in heavy risk of not being able to field a side and going bust?? Mad
As i said to gards at the beginning of the season would also be more than willing to play for free!!
Btw feel im a good coach to Cool after my performance friday! may text kne Laughing
1Youngy1
1Youngy1
Evo-Stik Division one

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=337218575505&set=a.10

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:54 am

Yes, awful situation. Sing your hearts out Ultra's on Saturday, for the team, Gard's and Snapper and for the club.

Dazza
Sunday League

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 am

I have a feeling that there will be no team out on Saturday afternoon. If there is then it will be a cricket score Head against wall Head against wall Head against wall Head against wall
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  nevergreen Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:09 am

years of mis-manangement have caused this situation. Wouldn't put it all down to one guy, but ultimatly anyone with a bit of common sense would/should check on the finances before placing their balls on the line.

I have to say that i truely believe that noone at the club at whatever level fully understands the levels of debt. Book keeping has long been a bunch of receipts chucked in a drawer and forgotten about.

Can anyone honestly say they know the TRUE level of debt? I doubt it.

nevergreen
nevergreen
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  drummer boy Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:11 am

I wish to say a big thankyou to matt and john for the work they have done for the team and wish them all the best for the future
united we stand sorry to see them go

utr
drummer boy
drummer boy
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next