Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goings on at the club

+9
arsene
RockDJ
rawlings09
sfc3
Justin.Fowkes
del boy
Leethall
Bob Marley
RedJeff
13 posters

Go down

Goings on at the club Empty Goings on at the club

Post  RedJeff Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 am

Along with the resignation of Justin, it has been announced that the under 21's have been dissbanded, Julian Workman is now reserves manager and Justin has now announced he has left the club as far as any official capacity! There seems to be issues and as it was said the youth set up is now key to the clubs/1st teams future I have asked the club via the official Facebook page what has happened and what are the issues. I think it's important the fans are given the right answer instead of the rumours that will come and are already doing the rounds, I have not had a official response yet.https://www.facebook.com/groups/187061658099936/permalink/298519403620827/
RedJeff
RedJeff
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Goings on at the club Empty Re: Goings on at the club

Post  Bob Marley Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am

I think everyone is over emotional with this subject.

2 years ago, a reserve team was not even possible (let alone the U21's)....Justin came in, created a wonderful youthful team and did just the best job anyone could have predicted.

However, the reserve team manager position is a no-win situation...trying to build any kind of team in parrallel with the continued interuption of the 1st team is always very difficult. Added to that the economic position of the club, there will always be a contradiction in needs and resources.

That will always be the hard reality.

However, no-one is biger than the club/company/business/team/family...it is disappointing that Justin took a personal decision and some fans immediatley think there is unstability at the club?

Different opinions/values/objectives/targets are present in football as well as real life and knee jerk reactions when personalities passionate about their subject is normal human behaviour...unfortunately.

Life moves on...I am sure everyone thanks Justin for his fantastic contribution to the club, but we need to look forward and wish Julian the very best of luck in what will be a very difficult environment.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 am

BM, it is all good and proper you saying what you have but the club should be providing an official press release on why this action has been taken. You talk about needs and resources but pop along to a few games and see how depressing it is and count the number of regulars who are no longer in attendance!

I just find it a continued negative with the club that they rattle on about fans supporting the club on matchdays and they cannot inform fans why decisions are made (agree or disagree with them or not).

2 years ago the youth section was a separate part of the club and great things have been done to get this within 1 club but this now seems to be the be all and end all of the club. Seriously you need the youth section to flourish and I hope it does to provide players but I think losing the U21's side could be an issue with reserves playing Midland Comb and the 1st team Southern Prem, far to big a gap and I know from experience in my career.

I wish Julian all the best in his new role but I just find the club a bit of a circus at present and a total lack of regard for those fans who have continued to support the club throughout. Seems to be a constant now for 2 seasons.

Any club that does not give a Full of sh*t about long standing fans no longer attending (eg Toffeeman, Rawlings etc) who were the bread and butter to help support the club through difficult times seriously needs to have a good old hard look in the mirror.

It will get worse before it gets any better and more and more fans will walk.
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am

To be honest, I don't really see the point in our club having an under 21's side or a reserve team. If we can't afford to put talented young players on contracts to protect the clubs investment, what's the point? Why invest in youth just so another club can reap the benefits? If we are not in a position to retain players, it's much better for the club to focus it's limited resources on the first team.
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:07 pm

BM, it is all good and proper you saying what you have but the club should be providing an official press release on why this action has been taken. You talk about needs and resources but pop along to a few games and see how depressing it is and count the number of regulars who are no longer in attendance!

I just find it a continued negative with the club that they rattle on about fans supporting the club on matchdays and they cannot inform fans why decisions are made (agree or disagree with them or not).

2 years ago the youth section was a separate part of the club and great things have been done to get this within 1 club but this now seems to be the be all and end all of the club. Seriously you need the youth section to flourish and I hope it does to provide players but I think losing the U21's side could be an issue with reserves playing Midland Comb and the 1st team Southern Prem, far to big a gap and I know from experience in my career.

I wish Julian all the best in his new role but I just find the club a bit of a circus at present and a total lack of regard for those fans who have continued to support the club throughout. Seems to be a constant now for 2 seasons.

Any club that does not give a Full of sh*t about long standing fans no longer attending (eg Toffeeman, Rawlings etc) who were the bread and butter to help support the club through difficult times seriously needs to have a good old hard look in the mirror.

I think it is very harsh to describe the football club as a circus when one volunteer resigns over a personal disagreement.
If an employee comes to me and demands 20% increase in salary that can not be justified..then resigns when the answer is no....is my business a circus?

It is a circus when strong management is not applied.....

I do agree on communication, it can/must improve...but when my employee resigns.....do I ring all my customers to let them know or do I work to appoint the next employee to ensure continuity?

It is a shame that fans do not support the club anymore...people where 'happy' to show up when the club was financed artificially...but not when the club is trying to stabilize in a very difficult economic climate...that actually reflects the hard reality of life....finally.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Bob Marley wrote:

It is a shame that fans do not support the club anymore...people where 'happy' to show up when the club was financed artificially...but not when the club is trying to stabilize in a very difficult economic climate...that actually reflects the hard reality of life....finally.

Bob, fans didn't just 'show up', they paid the best of a tenner for the the privilege to do so. I don't think you really appreciate how truly woeful the quality of 'entertainment' was last season. You can't expect people to keep turning up paying money to watch utter dross. People want some enjoyment in return. The club is not a charity, there are more worthy causes than Redditch United.

Back when the club was in trouble, I think most of us wanted a responsible, prudent and self sustainable football club. Unfortunately the reality of that is that at this level, it's too much to bear for many. It's sad to say this, but for me, avoiding relegation last season was a disaster for the club.
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Bob Marley wrote:BM, it is all good and proper you saying what you have but the club should be providing an official press release on why this action has been taken.  You talk about needs and resources but pop along to a few games and see how depressing it is and count the number of regulars who are no longer in attendance!

2 years ago the youth section was a separate part of the club and great things have been done to get this within 1 club but this now seems to be the be all and end all of the club.  Seriously you need the youth section to flourish and I hope it does to provide players but I think losing the U21's side could be an issue with reserves playing Midland Comb and the 1st team Southern Prem, far to big a gap and I know from experience in my career.

I wish Julian all the best in his new role but I just find the club a bit of a circus at present and a total lack of regard for those fans who have continued to support the club throughout.  Seems to be a constant now for 2 seasons.

Any club that does not give a :full of sh*t:about long standing fans no longer attending (eg Toffeeman, Rawlings etc) who were the bread and butter to help support the club through difficult times seriously needs to have a good old hard look in the mirror.

I think it is very harsh to describe the football club as a circus when one volunteer resigns over a personal disagreement.
If an employee comes to me and demands 20% increase in salary that can not be justified..then resigns when the answer is no....is my business a circus?

It is a circus when strong management is not applied.....

I do agree on communication, it can/must improve...but when my employee resigns.....do I ring all my customers to let them know or do I work to appoint the next employee to ensure continuity?

I do not know anything about why Justin has left but the club should just come out with an official press release like the vast majority of clubs do who are at a lower level than ours.

Your last paragraph actually shows how little you realise the atmosphere. As Del states when the club was on its arse about to go under we all wanted financial stability and we got it with the new owners. Since then the 1st team has been a merry go round of managers and players and has put people off added with the lack of will of the club to engage fans.

It is great to make the club self sufficient and I applaud that, but what are the club doing to enhance the customer experience? Make games unaffordable for a lot of people? Not bothered about embracing new initiatives to get fans back through the gate? I give you an example, Non League day. It is ok preaching all you do mate but you try going to games week in week out and seeing at 1st hand how people are voting with there feet by not attending. That is not helping the club be self sufficient is it?
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin.Fowkes Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Guys.

I take full responsibility for the u21s disbanding and accept any criticism coming my way. I gave up the post as Reserve team manager for 1 reason and 1 reason only. The players I bought into the club were being sent out on loan which neither they nor I wanted them to go.

I was told the Reserve league wasn't strong enough and by going to Cradley etc that they would learn more from the game. I wasn't willing to risk my players going to another club and run the risk of loosing them due to these players not being in contract at Reddditch and these potential loan clubs offering them first team football and money to drop Redditch and play for the respective club. We couldn't come to a agreement over this and I felt it was better another man came into the reserves who would embrace the changes being made.

Unfortunately I didn't realise that the financial implication of not getting a new manager in time could cost the club upto £1000. Julian stepped in and the club decided to drop the 21s and use them in the reserve league to stop any fines from the league.

Clearly I'm to blame for the 21s issue but I hope people also realise that I left the Reserves for the good of the Reserves and not for my own selfishness. The club needs managers that will work with the changes rather than against them which I honestly felt I couldn't work too.

Hopefully Julian will continue the good work I started and I will find another club that I can manage my way and imprint some of my skills into that particular team. I honestly didn't want any of this to escalate into nothing more than the reserves getting the very best they deserve.

Unfortunately some don't agree. At least by telling you all this, my conscience is clear and it is kind of official response from the club.

Kind Regards

Justin

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Goings on at the club Empty maybe to late

Post  sfc3 Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:45 am

Firstly Justin sorry to hear you have resigned . you are correct in saying that what is the point in enticing new players to the club only to farm them out on loan where they will potentially be tapped up ,i understand that Liam wants to build a new team with the additions of some youth , but already these players are getting attention from other clubs it clearly states in the Redditch advertiser that he has only 5 players under contract and all the rest are potentialy in the market place i no at least 2 players that are being currently tapped up by other clubs both young and up and coming talent the 20 man squad maybe 18 ?

sfc3
Sunday League

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:41 am

Of course I was happy to show up when the club was artificially financed, I payed less money, watched better football and had a better time on the terraces, i saw 2 mangers in 3 or 4 season (whild/gardener) and a more or less consistent squad..

This time I've seen what... 5 managers in 2 and a half seasons?! Shocking football, no atmosphere and players that seemed to be on a 1 day contract...

For a club that claims that continuity is the key, theres far too much chopping and changing.. I think Justin may have been one of the longest serving Redditch team managers! Wink even though the reserves success was brilliant, a way is still found to make it difficult for those who volunteer!

Even the stewards aren't consistent like they used to be!

I'm not by any means turning my back on the club, in fact ill be there at the first game of the season because Liam deserves a chance, i feel for him a little, it could be 7 bad games at the start of the season, or a mid table finish that could warrant a sacking!

Steve, while ill always respect your opinions, I have to disagree, if someone resigns at a business, I assume its better to keep things as quiet as possible and move on, at a football club where us fans are the reason the club is a club, I feel justification is needed, fair play to Justin, he's come on and put his side across, what have the club said? Nothing.

From where you are it may look alright, but from here it's a whole different story!
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  RockDJ Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 am

rawlings09 wrote:what have the club said? Nothing.

From where you are it may look alright, but from here it's a whole different story!
I thought the club issued a statement on the 7th and another on the 9th??
RockDJ
RockDJ
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 am

RockDJ wrote:
rawlings09 wrote:what have the club said? Nothing.

I thought the club issued a statement on the 7th and another on the 9th??
Must have missed it, my apologies!
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  RockDJ Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 am

No probs mate....look forward to seeing you and the rest of your family Saturday if you can make it.
RockDJ
RockDJ
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 pm

I'll be down, pal!
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 am

rawlings09 wrote:Of course I was happy to show up when the club was artificially financed, I payed less money, watched better football and had a better time on the terraces, i saw 2 mangers in 3 or 4 season (whild/gardener) and a more or less consistent squad..

This time I've seen what... 5 managers in 2 and a half seasons?! Shocking football, no atmosphere and players that seemed to be on a 1 day contract...

For a club that claims that continuity is the key, theres far too much chopping and changing.. I think Justin may have been one of the longest serving Redditch team managers! ;)even though the reserves success was brilliant, a way is still found to make it difficult for those who volunteer!

Even the stewards aren't consistent like they used to be!

I'm not by any means turning my back on the club, in fact ill be there at the first game of the season because Liam deserves a chance, i feel for him a little, it could be 7 bad games at the start of the season, or a mid table finish that could warrant a sacking!

Steve, while ill always respect your opinions, I have to disagree, if someone resigns at a business, I assume its better to keep things as quiet as possible and move on, at a football club where us fans are the reason the club is a club, I feel justification is needed, fair play to Justin, he's come on and put his side across, what have the club said? Nothing.

I do not think everything looks alright..far from it Rawlings09.

I think the fans have to be realistic...that's all...the club will take some years to stabilize from the issues of the past.
In our modern life when everything is super fast and super efficient, it is natural to be impatient....I don't think Mr Swan had any idea how deep rooted the problems were at the club when he took the reins...if he did, we probably wouldn't have a club to talk about now.

This is a marathon...not a sprint....many bumps still to come...risk on investment is a major factor these days and with RUFC, everything is a risk.

For atmosphere....that's down to the fans.
We made that change a couple of seasons ago....it's down to us again.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  arsene Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Bob Marley wrote:For atmosphere....that's down to the fans.
Steve, you're missing the point. The dross that was dished up for much of last season meant that the majority of fans (myself included) thought twice (or possibly three times) before attending games. To create an atmosphere you need something to cheer (even if it is only the effort put in on the pitch) and for much of last season it just wasn't there!

The big question is - how do we attract the "old" fans back? (and new ones!)
arsene
arsene
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:29 pm

arsene wrote:
Steve, you're missing the point. The dross that was dished up for much of last season meant that the majority of fans (myself included) thought twice (or possibly three times) before attending games. To create an atmosphere you need something to cheer (even if it is only the effort put in on the pitch) and for much of last season it just wasn't there!

Arsene...you, like I, sang for 90 minutes when we were getting smashed by Boston 9-0....

I remember talking to many players towards the end of the Hyde season ....they all said that the fans made such a difference....(OK, maybe Hendrie also played a small part!).

With such a young side, imagine the encouragement the players would get if they heard the Cedar Road in full voice?
I always think of Jim Deabill...average at best...but with the support of you guys, his effort was amazing....and scored a few useful goals.

Yes, the dross last year put many people off.....but now we have a new manager and new team (like most seasons!)...time to get behind them and see what happens?

You can not compare watching a game at the Valley without the banter and songs you guys put together....its fun, entertaining and sometimes better than the performance on the field!

Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  nevergreen Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:24 am

having been to 2 friendlies (evesham&sutton) I can safely say that once again we need an old head at the back..the lads are trying to play some good stuff (on the floor) bit risky at times but if they have the confidence they may surprise a few....worry is if they start season badly no coming back as confidence will be shot imo.

Going forward we look ok...enough to trouble most teams but fragile at the back.
nevergreen
nevergreen
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  arsene Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:11 am

Bob Marley wrote:
arsene wrote:

Arsene...you, like I, sang for 90 minutes when we were getting smashed by Boston 9-0....

I remember talking to many players towards the end of the Hyde season ....they all said that the fans made such a difference....(OK, maybe Hendrie also played a small part!).

With such a young side, imagine the encouragement the players would get if they heard the Cedar Road in full voice?
I always think of Jim Deabill...average at best...but with the support of you guys, his effort was amazing....and scored a few useful goals.

Yes, the dross last year put many people off.....but now we have a new manager and new team (like most seasons!)...time to get behind them and see what happens?

You can not compare watching a game at the Valley without the banter and songs you guys put together....its fun, entertaining and sometimes better than the performance on the field!

Yes. Bob, I was there for the match against Boston. But surely the situation was a lot different then. We knew we were in trouble. We knew we were punching above our weight and that the team was going to struggle. There was a sense of the "Dunkirk" spirit all that season. (Incidentally, how many of the "Boston Choir" saw more than a handful (if any) games last season?!)

However, with the change of ownership (for which we are all grateful!) expectations were, rightly or wrongly, raised.

A first season in the SLP did not however inspire confidence- too much chopping and changing! And it was only with the sudden injection of funds (Hendrie etc) towards the end of the season that stopped the unthinkable (relegation) happening.

So we had hope for last season only to find that over the Summer the mananger and most of the squad who had helped us survive had gone and a new regime was in place. The early results were fairly dire and people began to drift. (I admit that, even as a loyal "old-timer" (thanks, T-G!) my enthusiasm waned and I did not attend all the games I could have done.)

As has been said many times, football, at all levels is basically a "results-driven" industry and to survive by the skin of our teeth again was for many the last straw and when they did turn up for games the fare on offer, both on and off the field, did not inspire many to return.

Necessarily the atmosphere deteriorated with the lack of fans. Three of us on the Cedar Road could not make much difference.

I realise that from the perspective of a few thousand miles you can not be aware of how The Valley was a depressing place often to come to last season and that hurts me deeply for I have over the last twenty or so years looked forward not only to the football (if that's what it is!!!) but also the craic and banter. So much of what attracted me (and my sons) is now missing and nobody seems able to suggest a soultion.

I've just read what I've written above and isn't it depressing?!! I didn't set out to write such a piece but obviously it's how my thoughts are going. (Miserable bugger I hear you say and you could be right!)

But, having written all this, I acknowledge that as you say we have a new mananger and a young side and, as at the start of every season, I start out on the new adventure if not with a song in my heart at least with optimism. (See my prediction for Saturday!)

Let's hope for a good start to the season (say, two wins, two draws in the first five games) and perhaps the fans will come flooding back and some new ones too! (If the results go against us I fear the worst, i.e. a repeat of last season.)

In any case, I'll see you all Saturday!!!

A
arsene
arsene
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 am

Not in attendance on Sat and unlikely I will be throughout the season much other than Monday night games!

What we need is what Arsene said a few wins early doors and very important a run in the FA Cup which will bring in funds through prize money and attendances.

I still feel that the Non League Day initiative whatever could be decided is to good an opportunity to pass up even if entrance is reduced to a fiver with a bucket collection for people to donate to.
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditch_Reject Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:58 am

I think the difference in the Hyde season was that there wasn't too much chopping and changing, and hear me out here.

Nine of what I'd consider our first eleven at the end of the season had been there since about mid October. (Coleman, Stringfellow, Hickman, Grimes, Tes, Tommy, Osborne, Halsall and Jim Deabill). Only the Hendries really forced their way into that team, and because you could see the passion in these "long termers" in terms of Redditch, then there was so much to cheer about. I remember being at a game in the last season of BSN where we were singing "6-0 up and you still can't sing" to the opposition. I'll go and watch Redditch till I die, but I'd much rather watch a 4 - 3 defeat like the one against St Albans a couple of seasons ago, than one where we concede from a set piece and lose 1-0, but not put in a shift. I don't think football is results driven, its performance driven. The atmosphere is down to us, but the players have to meet us halfway.

Also, how the f*ck do you write a songs about Leavi with that last name, or about a goalie that's wearing orange? Crying with laughter 
Redditch_Reject
Redditch_Reject
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  in2thevalley Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:52 am

I stopped coming down, basically because I was getting fed up with the dross that was being served up week in week out. And yes I know, as a true fan you should follow your team come what may! however, I wasn't prepared to do that. I have watched us spiral almost free fall out of the old BSN and but for restructuring of leagues we would be in yet another league, playing the likes of Thatcham Town et al,. Another reason and although not as important was when we went to Nantwich, now the support we took there was fantastic, and the behaviour was impeccable, we sang from start to finish, and yet only two players (and one of them was on loan making his debut that day) actually acknowledged the fans for their support. I will say no more on the matter.

I will be attending on Saturday with some renewed interest in how we do,
in2thevalley
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  lewism5964 Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 am

The standard of football was totally dross last season, especially for the price charged. Some games in the mid comb would of been more entertaining and much cheaper. However, nothing was better than when we had the Cedar Road in full voice a few seasons ago. I have only been a Reds fan for 7 years, but the time when we almost went to the wall and the beginning of the Swann era is still my favourite time because of the support we had at home and away. Some of the away games such as Totton and Evesham were class because of the support. So I hope that the team can get off to a good start because as much as I enjoyed the football on show so far in pre season, the Valley can be is as much fun as watching paint dry without the regular support we used to enjoy. I worry for the future of the Reds at this level if the atmosphere down the Valley from last season continues this year.

I have to admit I won't be down there much myself this season as I move permanently to Portsmouth on Saturday, but I will be following from a far and hope to get to some of the games down south. Hope everyone enjoys the game Saturday, I will be hoping to be following the scores whilst i'm busy unpacking boxes.

Up the Reds!
lewism5964
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down