Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highlights of Leamington game

+5
Terrace Guy
oldtommo
Tommo
Bob Marley
in2thevalley
9 posters

Go down

Highlights of Leamington game Empty Highlights of Leamington game

Post  in2thevalley Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:34 am

in2thevalley
in2thevalley
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Highlights of Leamington game Empty Re: Highlights of Leamington game

Post  Bob Marley Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Great highlights but what's happened to our support?

Even in our darkest hour, how often were we the 12th man?

What's happened? It's like watching a Sunday league game......come on guys, that's sh*t.

Big effort needed.....
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommo Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 am

Bob Marley wrote:Great highlights but what's happened to our support?

Even in our darkest hour, how often were we the 12th man?

What's happened? It's like watching a Sunday league game......come on guys, that's sh*t.

Big effort needed.....

sh*t is an understatement. But to be the 12th man you need fans. Seriously you wont believe how few fans there are attending games. The weymouth and leamington games, bar a few older reds supporters dotted around there were 9 of us in the cedar road stand. Less than that against Hednesford. God knows how embarrassing the crowd is gonna be when we play a non supported team.
Im not over exaggerating we had had fewer than 100 fans for these apparently big games. So unless you can think of some amazing idea to get any fans to games, the support is going to stay sh*t for a long time.

The only thing that kept me going last season was the fans and there support. I have no idea where these fans have gone Crying or Very sad
Tommo
Tommo
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:41 am

My idea is to do exactly what we did 2 years ago when the club was on its knees, attendances down and the atmosphere like it is now.

For the next home game on October 6th.

I will donate my monthly TRUST payment for the debt payment we took on during the buy-out by the Swans ($330)

TRUST will pay half entrance fee for 66 people ($5 each)...to gather on the Cedar Road and get back to what we do best......flags out, scarves out and loud, loud singing.

This offer includes all the regulars...Kimbo, Arsene, Andy, Justin, Tommo Snr, Tommy Jnr, Sam, Joe, Jack, Brad, Pete, Jeff, DJ, Lewis, Spike, Josh and anyone else we can think of.

Get 60 guys together and go for it big time....might encourage a few more down when they hear/see/feel the Valley at it's best.

Note to club: please, please, please put a fixture list on the official website. Amateur.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 pm

That all sounds good mate but I think the biggest thing missing is a rapport with the players/management! Last season we may not have been the best team around, but once the squad became settled, we had som characters who we could really interact with. Most of our songs related to individual players, and on the whole they loved it and responded to it with some decent and passionate performances. The likes of tommy, tesfa jimmy Alex and jake luke hydey the hendries, it felt like they belonged to us and they appreciated the part we played in the games. This created great atmosphere. Now each game I can't even name half the team and most weeks they don't seem over bothered about results. This isno reflection on the owners who saved the club. It's just how I see things and I don't have the magic answer! I do feel more guts and passion on the pitch may lead to more on the terraces, it's a chicken and egg situation reallyi
oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 am

Right this is very simple, so to go over well trodden ground once again:

Reasons people don't go to the Valley:

*Problem: "Redditch has a football team?"- Solution: Town Centre stall with a discount to the next match against someone we're likely to beat (to prevent a repeat of the efforts made before THAT Boston game-puts the club in a good light-winning teams attract more fans and more importantly more comeback fans!/advertise at the bus station and all round town.

*Problem: "I'm above the age of 16, not a student and have a load of mates with nothing to do on a saturday afternoon. I fit the main football supporting demographic but there's no chance you'll get me down that c*aphole for a tenner a time"- Solution: Scrap student card fees etc-make it a fiver for ALL young people aged 21 and under-they will more than make up for the cost in beer purchases-believe me I've been there not so long ago-entry for a fiver-2 pints?-Full entrance money recouped

*Problem: "I'm a Dad/Mum with three football mad sons/daughters (just to be PC). I've been priced out of my favourite Premier League/Championship/League 1 side and want to find a cheaper afternoon out" Solution: My reddicard idea with a discount for the adult?

* Problem: "I'm a (insert team here) season ticket holder, I go to every match but keep an eye out for Redditch United too. I would go down when (insert team here) aren't playing as I love live football but a tenner on top of my (insert team here) expenses is just too much!" Solution: Sure It'll put noses out of joint for myself and other regulars but maybe it's time we go cap in hand to these people? I know for a fact that an old mate from sixth form/primary school comes down to the Reds with his old man and older brother whenever Blues aren't at home (they're all season ticket holders) and I'm talking league/BSC/WSC/RedInsure Cup the lot. They're an anomaly though so perhaps a splash in the papers "Reds offer £4 off entry for season ticket holders of local clubs"

* Problem: "Redditch United-jog on you wouldn't get me down there if they paid me" Solution: The next best thing-one match (again against a team we're likely to beat)-PAY WHAT YOU LIKE-who's to say that if the players put on a show that some won't be back?

* Problem: "I call myself a football fan but only ever watch matches on Sky/dodgy internet feeds and you'll never get me out in the middle of January watching any team." Solution: There is none

But the armchair jockey aside, each hypothetical person above is well within our grasp with the carrot of reduced prices! We are still in a silent recession that's affecting thousands of white collar as well as blue collar workers around the country and the only thing that will get people through those gates is if they feel that in these times the club is doing something to lift the financial burden. There is seriously no point in getting the regulars to wave flags about if there's no one else there to see it and by recent attendances it's looking that way! It was a great idea in the past and helped gain support for last season which lead to a consistent hardcore following at home and away but we have to face facts, the momentum and feel good factor has gone! Leamington at home was depressing for all Reds fans and the last time I saw the home support as threadbare as that was at home vs Funeaton in the last CN season when Rae was still in charge and I thought the club was gone forever.

To speak freely, I am busy more often than not these days and do not manage to get to as many Reds games as I'd like. In an ideal world I would go to every home match (yes even the RedInsure Cup) and sporadic away games as and when but I have more responsibilities now than I did in sixth form. I have not and still will not ever join a supporters trust here or my other club (Cov-yes I pick em well) as i do not have the time to turn up to events on a regular basis and believe that sometimes (as with certain fans in the past) if you mix politics with football too much you get burnt. I have immense respect for those I see every game who give up their free time but by taking a step back I believe I can support the club who represent the town of my ancestors through thick and thin without caring who's at the top of it and to keep it a leisurely activity away from work. That's just personal choice. However, if anyone needs a hand with advertising/propaganda to put some of the above into action or other ideas then I will be happy to help out (when I can) as it's clear now that something needs to be done to drastically to increase our support!.... Oh and it would be nice to put my English degree to use for something.....

UTR

TG
Terrace Guy
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Terrace Guy wrote:Right this is very simple, so to go over well trodden ground once again:

Not so simple in that you've failed to mention that what happens on the pitch is perhaps the most important factor.

Getting folks down here is the 'easy' part!!!!!

Getting them to come again is the difficulty. I can honestly say that the majority of my close friends, colleagues and relatives have been to a game at one time or another in recent years. Seeing them for a second time at The Valley is more of a rarity. This is a long time problem spanning many years.

The club needs to focus on retaining our current fan / customer base. We can't expect everyone in Redditch to support us. But those who have at one time or another put their foot through the door, we need to give them a reason to come back.

The best, most effective, well funded promotional campaign in the world is pointless if we don't have a product to back it up!

del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  tmorton90 Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Terrace Guy wrote:Right this is very simple, so to go over well trodden ground once again:

Reasons people don't go to the Valley:

*Problem: "Redditch has a football team?"- Solution: Town Centre stall with a discount to the next match against someone we're likely to beat (to prevent a repeat of the efforts made before THAT Boston game-puts the club in a good light-winning teams attract more fans and more importantly more comeback fans!/advertise at the bus station and all round town.

*Problem: "I'm above the age of 16, not a student and have a load of mates with nothing to do on a saturday afternoon. I fit the main football supporting demographic but there's no chance you'll get me down that c*aphole for a tenner a time"- Solution: Scrap student card fees etc-make it a fiver for ALL young people aged 21 and under-they will more than make up for the cost in beer purchases-believe me I've been there not so long ago-entry for a fiver-2 pints?-Full entrance money recouped

*Problem: "I'm a Dad/Mum with three football mad sons/daughters (just to be PC). I've been priced out of my favourite Premier League/Championship/League 1 side and want to find a cheaper afternoon out" Solution: My reddicard idea with a discount for the adult?

* Problem: "I'm a (insert team here) season ticket holder, I go to every match but keep an eye out for Redditch United too. I would go down when (insert team here) aren't playing as I love live football but a tenner on top of my (insert team here) expenses is just too much!" Solution: Sure It'll put noses out of joint for myself and other regulars but maybe it's time we go cap in hand to these people? I know for a fact that an old mate from sixth form/primary school comes down to the Reds with his old man and older brother whenever Blues aren't at home (they're all season ticket holders) and I'm talking league/BSC/WSC/RedInsure Cup the lot. They're an anomaly though so perhaps a splash in the papers "Reds offer £4 off entry for season ticket holders of local clubs"

* Problem: "Redditch United-jog on you wouldn't get me down there if they paid me" Solution: The next best thing-one match (again against a team we're likely to beat)-PAY WHAT YOU LIKE-who's to say that if the players put on a show that some won't be back?

* Problem: "I call myself a football fan but only ever watch matches on Sky/dodgy internet feeds and you'll never get me out in the middle of January watching any team." Solution: There is none

But the armchair jockey aside, each hypothetical person above is well within our grasp with the carrot of reduced prices! We are still in a silent recession that's affecting thousands of white collar as well as blue collar workers around the country and the only thing that will get people through those gates is if they feel that in these times the club is doing something to lift the financial burden. There is seriously no point in getting the regulars to wave flags about if there's no one else there to see it and by recent attendances it's looking that way! It was a great idea in the past and helped gain support for last season which lead to a consistent hardcore following at home and away but we have to face facts, the momentum and feel good factor has gone! Leamington at home was depressing for all Reds fans and the last time I saw the home support as threadbare as that was at home vs Funeaton in the last CN season when Rae was still in charge and I thought the club was gone forever.

To speak freely, I am busy more often than not these days and do not manage to get to as many Reds games as I'd like. In an ideal world I would go to every home match (yes even the RedInsure Cup) and sporadic away games as and when but I have more responsibilities now than I did in sixth form. I have not and still will not ever join a supporters trust here or my other club (Cov-yes I pick em well) as i do not have the time to turn up to events on a regular basis and believe that sometimes (as with certain fans in the past) if you mix politics with football too much you get burnt. I have immense respect for those I see every game who give up their free time but by taking a step back I believe I can support the club who represent the town of my ancestors through thick and thin without caring who's at the top of it and to keep it a leisurely activity away from work. That's just personal choice. However, if anyone needs a hand with advertising/propaganda to put some of the above into action or other ideas then I will be happy to help out (when I can) as it's clear now that something needs to be done to drastically to increase our support!.... Oh and it would be nice to put my English degree to use for something.....

UTR

TG

+1 Excellent post.

tmorton90
Midland Combination League

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrace Guy Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm

But we need to get more fans there first to pay for the calibre of player that will bring even greater numbers through the gate in the future. Thats how i thought it was working anyway as the playing budget correlates to who comes through the gate so surely increasing the fanbase is the first move to kick start that?

Leamington FC didnt have a great "product" when they were a Mids Comb Prem team but their attendances would smash ours even back then. Sure it was a club risen from the ashes of a formerly well supported club but the standard to begin with would have been terrible. But their fans accepted that and led their team to now and im sure higher echelons im the future. Whether a similar "your local club needs you" revolution would work in Redditch has always been the burning question but may as well exhaust all the options...
Terrace Guy
Terrace Guy
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 am

Ah, a great post by Terrace Guy... never fails to use such big words Wink

It's a combination of value money and price for me, people aren't going to pay a tenner to stand in an empty, scruffy (as pointed out by someone on another thread, ground maintenance is poor) ground and watch below average football when Birmingham city make an offer for "Kids for a quid and Adults for a fiver" So pops and his 3 lads or daughters can go and watch a professional game, at a propper stadium and still have change for a programme.

I'm sure we've all had mates that we've brought down promising how great it would be, to then get spanked and see them return to their premier league clubs, i remind you that a few seasons ago i managed to get around 15 lads together who saw us lose, out of the 15 not one comes to watch anymore, had their first time experience been better, the club could have 15 lads in the bar having a pint most weeks.. £45 straight away! I think i've blown my chance to bring and keep my mates down the valley, as have many others, there's only so much one can do!

I'm positive that if the gate was reduced then people would spend more in the bar, shop, tuckshop, golden goal and programmes because they'll have that change on them and won't be dipping into their pockets. I also remember in my school days when i used to be buzzing on tuesday for the midweek games because it cost me £2 to get in and i struggled to make saturday games due to work. But i don't know why it's still full price on a tuesday night and they wonder why our attendances are poor.

i don't think it has much to do with people knowing where we are, for 2 events this year i've seen over 2,000 people down there, albeit not a football crowd.

Get people through that gate they'll spend money without realising it if the matchday experience is good!
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Some very good points raised on this topic of why we have such poor support and ideas for improving it, particularly from Terrace Guy. Looking at it from a businessman's point of view Reds have an unfortunate combination of having an overpriced yet under performing and substandard product/service. Any business in any walk of life in any part of the world will not last long with this unfortunate 'business model'.

The product/service (results and performances on the pitch) have been poor for the last two or three years. The price (admission fees) would not be unacceptable if the product/service was better. In short, I don't think we would be having this discussion if we were top of the table and still in the FA Cup.

We also might not be having this conversation if the pricing structure was better. If it was only seven or eight quid to get in (and maybe a fiver for senior cup matches and midweek fixtures) people might still be tempted to turn up at least occasionally and give their support even if things were not great on the pitch. Not only that but as has been mentioned, at least they would be there to buy a programme, a raffle ticket and a couple of pints afterwards. We can't sell them that if they're not there.

I think non league football (and maybe all football) has, or is, in danger of becoming overpriced. Ten quid for the Valley is ok if we were in the Blue Square again but for a struggling team in the Southern Prem it's too much. If I were in charge I would be adopting the pricing structure I've just quoted and I would be doing it bl***y quick before we start playing in front of crowds in double figures because if it's that bad already God knows what it will be like come the depths of winter.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down