Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Manager Official Statement

Go down

New Manager Official Statement Empty New Manager Official Statement

Post  Justin.Fowkes Mon May 13, 2013 4:34 am

It's now Official. Liam McDonald is named as First Team manager after Simon Redheads departure.

LIAM McDonald has been named as the new boss of Redditch United - with chairman Chris Swan delighted to be able to offer the 28-year-old his first managerial position.

"After discussing the manager's job with Liam I was left in no doubt that he is the person to take the club on to a new level," the United chairman said.

"His passion for the club was obvious, he has extensive contacts within the game and he outlined an intoxicating vision for building a team that will help Redditch United evolve as a football club.

"Simon Redhead worked tirelessly to keep us in the division but I felt that a change of direction was needed. Liam likes to play a passing game - that is evident to all those who have seen him play - and he will also be well placed to continue the development of key youngsters like Leavi Oshungbure and Jermaine Hylton who will hopefully form the basis of the team in the future.

"The club has a five-year development plan which has already seen it develop 21 boys and girls teams, a league-winning floodlit team and a reserve team that is on the cusp of a league and cup double.

"There is a plan in place at all levels of the club and Liam is the person to ensure the natural progression.

"While this is a fresh start, Liam's appointment also offers us continuity. He will work with the Reserves, U21s and U18s to continue to develop and encourage the best young players in the area."

McDonald played a key role in keeping the Reds in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division last season but, after spells with clubs including Tamworth, Kettering and Worcester City, the midfield maestro is ready to make the move into management.

"Football management has always been something I've wanted to do," explained McDonald.

"I have strong beliefs about how the game should be played and that is key to the philosophy I will be bringing to the job.

"I was fortunate to play full-time football in the Conference with Tamworth and Kettering and I have played against Everton in the FA Cup, but it was always my aim to get into management and I have been working hard on the coaching side.

"I hope to take my Uefa B licence this summer and will then work towards my A licence.

"I was prepared to wait for my chance but am delighted that I have been handed this opportunity at Redditch. It is a wonderful club with excellent fans who want to see attractive football but also football played with passion.

"The club's philosophy is all about creating something for the future. People will look at the first team but I will also be working with the other players as well, ensuring they can make the step up into the first team when they are ready."

McDonald will be bringing in his own coaching team and more details on his backroom will be released in due course.

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down