Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media comments: Martin Sockett

+3
porrohman
ROWLY1971
fingers
7 posters

Go down

Media comments: Martin Sockett Empty Media comments: Martin Sockett

Post  fingers Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:21 am

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/sockett-delighted-to-be-back-7730/

Sockett chose not to have his say (publicly) on his departure at the time, but interesting comments on his time at the Reds following his return to Rugby.

Is he right to say:

Reds had a reasonable start?
A limited budget?
His departure was premature?
And possibly most importantly, manufactured?

Thoughts?

Martin Sockett’s return to Butlin Road may have come as a shock to many non-League football followers but there’s no doubting the ex-Bedworth United boss is delighted to be back for a third spell at Rugby Town as part of Dave Stringer’s management team at the Evo-Stik League Southern Division One Central club.

His second stint ended in the summer as he took over the reins at higher league Redditch United but it didn’t work out for him at the Southern Premier outfit and following his departure he has renewed his acquaintances with Rugby.

He said: “It’s great to be back. Butlin Road is somewhat of a spiritual home for me. I’ve always enjoyed my time here and it’s good to get another opportunity now.

“Of course it did come as a bit of a surprise when I was approached but I’ve always had a good relationship with the chairman and the rest of the board here, so I didn’t think twice at jumping at the chance to return.

“For sure it’s disappointing things didn’t work out differently at Redditch.

“We had a good pre-season and a reasonably good start to the season with limited funding in a tough league.

“I think the decision to part ways at Redditch was a little premature and perhaps manufactured but that’s history now and I am fully focused on helping Dave and his assistant Tony Clarke to get things moving in the right way at Rugby now.”

With Sockett in charge, Town finished sixth Division One Central Division last term and he’s convinced the opportunity still exists to better that this time out, despite the team’s recent poor run of results.

He added: “It’s clear from the few games I’ve seen that confidence levels are down. Individually and collectively we are not performing as we know we can.

“We just need to get things settled down again, make sure we keep the spirit up in training and get back on the front foot once more.”

Sockett insists he has no issue with returning to work for the man who was his assistant last season.

He said: “Some people may find it strange but me and Dave are not fazed by titles. We worked well together last year and I’m sure it will be the same now roles are reversed. “We have always communicated incessantly about tactics, players, opponents etc., and we’re straight back like that again now.”

Sockett confirmed he has already been busy with Stringer looking for new players to boost the squad and they have put in various enquiries and approaches which they hope will lead to some new faces joining the club in the near future.

fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Media comments: Martin Sockett Empty Re: Media comments: Martin Sockett

Post  ROWLY1971 Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 am

“For sure it’s disappointing things didn’t work out differently at Redditch.

“We had a good pre-season and a reasonably good start to the season with limited funding in a tough league.

“I think the decision to part ways at Redditch was a little premature and perhaps manufactured but that’s history now and I am fully focused on helping Dave and his assistant Tony Clarke to get things moving in the right way at Rugby now.”

1st point: Youd expect ANY manager sacked so early to be disappointed
2nd point: He did have a reasonably good start points wise, and any budget I guess is limited in any league..and this 1 is a tough one.
3rd point: He is bound to think it premature,as for 'manufactured' thats his feeling of being stabbed in the back by Hyde, and now he's looking forward to his new challenge.

Nothing wrong with any of the above quote in my eyes. He could of said far worse probably.
Dont think to many will be pleased with this post though as its taken a while to move on from Socket here....
ROWLY1971
ROWLY1971
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 am

Other people may want to comment but it's old ground for me Andy. Not really interested what he has to say to be honest. Just my opinion.
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  SID SNOT Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:43 am

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

Sockett was treated like sh1t by Mr Swan.
SID SNOT
SID SNOT
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 am

Good luck to him at Rugby, he's happy at his 'spiritual home' and has moved on. We've done the same.

This is my last post in this thread.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:16 am

Redditchbluenose86 wrote:Good luck to him at Rugby, he's happy at his 'spiritual home' and has moved on. We've done the same.

This is my last post in this thread.
This
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 am

Socket to take over Rugby Town

Post redditch born on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:22 pm
A little dicky bird told me this morning that Socket is to be new manager at Ruby Town??

Did tell you a week ago,
redditch born
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:08 pm

redditch born wrote:Socket to take over Rugby Town

A little dicky bird told me this morning that Socket is to be new manager at Ruby Town??

Did tell you a week ago,

No you said he was to be the new manager at Ruby Town. He is assistant manager at Rugby Town Very Happy
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  redditch born Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:14 pm

[quote="Leethall"]

Did tell you a week ago,

No you said he was to be the new manager at Ruby Town. He is assistant manager at Rugby Town Very Happy [/quote Thats What I ment! but couldnt spell it? Very Happy
redditch born
redditch born
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:44 pm

[quote="redditch born"]
Leethall wrote:

Did tell you a week ago,

No you said he was to be the new manager at Ruby Town. He is assistant manager at Rugby Town Very Happy [/quote Thats What I ment! but couldnt spell it? Very Happy

Laughing All good fun my friend!
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down