Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob. Oh wait...

3 posters

Go down

Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob.  Oh wait... Empty Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob. Oh wait...

Post  ted striker Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:37 am

So I had the privilege of going to watch Stafford Rangers v Worksop Town yesterday, and I think I've finally found a referee worse than "I'd like to teach the rules to" Singh. (Joke copyright Arsene, about ten years ago.) John Mayhew of Dudley - remember his name.

No control of the game, handed out bookings (ten in all, five each side) for all manner of things, yet couldn't even give a penalty when the Worksop goalkeeper hacked the legs out from under a Stafford forward, let alone give him the red card that denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity demands. Second half, another Stafford forward goes through, knocks the ball past the keeper who takes his legs. Ref gives the penalty, but it's only a yellow card! So he's now had two chances to send off the keeper, and taken neither. The inevitable happens: the keeper saves the penalty.

I could go on, and tell you about all the other glaring errors he made, but I'm pretty sure these forums have a character limit.

Unsurprisingly, at the end of the game, the first three people off the pitch are the three officials. Without wishing to excuse anyone who actually hits/pushes/slaps/punches/strikes (delete as applicable) a ref, I can understand the process by which an already hot-headed player might become so frustrated at such terrible officiating that frayed tempers snap and he lashes out. Chair

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob.  Oh wait... Empty Re: Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob. Oh wait...

Post  ROWLY1971 Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:18 am

Point being.....
ROWLY1971
ROWLY1971
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob.  Oh wait... Empty Re: Referees - can't live with 'em, can't punch 'em in the gob. Oh wait...

Post  ted striker Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:55 am

ROWLY1971 wrote:Point being.....

Points being:
  1. It's not inconceivable that John Mayhew of Dudley referees at a Redditch game in the not too distant future. I'd be interested to see whether Saturday's performance was a one-off, or whether he really is not fit to referee a semi-professional football match.

2. I was interested in other people's views about the frustrations that players experience when the referee is clearly not up to the required standard. You've played competitive football Rowly, you're ideally placed to speak on this topic. While no referee will ever please everyone all of the time, there's clearly a difference between disagreeing with a ref's individual decision, and seeing him make a complete arse of a match for 90 minutes. When you were playing, what went through your mind when you could see a ref who was so obviously not up to the mark?

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  ROWLY1971 Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 am

To tell you the truth I cant remember too many who were that incompetent, but when 1 is it is very frustrating indeed.
I didnt suffer too many Reds in my day, a yellow though seemed to make me play better some how when younger.
I was very fortunate though in the respect that I knew 2 or 3 seasons prior to me quitting that I was running out of football time, and these were my best loved years because I appreciated everything so much more, even the refs good or bad!
Unfortunately too many players think they will play forever and dont appreciate the game like we who dont or cant play now.
When I was managing I always told my players to cherish their time playing because it doesnt last, and in doing so if a ref is having a mare, try very hard to ignore him.
I think its far harder for a supporter to give a bad ref any slack more so than a player. Maybe because as a player you appreciate he's only humna and can make mistakes, like you have in the game, or no doubt will do before the end of it. But as a supporter all you do is pay your money and stand there..so youre doing your part without fault and get irate more when a ref cant do the same. In my opinion that is anyway...

I do hope though that if this ref comes to the valley, he either has a better game, or if not the crowd are a little more sympathetic towards him..
ROWLY1971
ROWLY1971
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm

I think alot of refs bring it on themselves by lack of communication with players. I'd never have a go at a ref who'd have a bit of banter with me. Just didn't seem right. Bob Morris had it down to a t...any one moaned at him first five minutes he'd just say ' Oi number 7, I'm a referee cos it gets me out of the house so my missus can't moan at me..I don't need you taking her place..now get on with the game.' Refs who never said a word then got the book out used to drive me potty.
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down