Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chesham United (A) to be replayed

+8
Captain Carlin
Leethall
Bob Marley
del boy
porrohman
Redditchbluenose86
ted striker
fingers
12 posters

Go down

Chesham United (A) to be replayed Empty Chesham United (A) to be replayed

Post  fingers Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:06 am

...and Chesham don't seem too happy about it.

http://www.cheshamunited.co.uk/#redditch

What do we all think?

Anyone know the rules on this inside out?
fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Chesham United (A) to be replayed Empty Re: Chesham United (A) to be replayed

Post  ted striker Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:39 am

fingers wrote:...and Chesham don't seem too happy about it.

http://www.cheshamunited.co.uk/#redditch

What do we all think?

Anyone know the rules on this inside out?

I think it's a shocking decision on the part of the league. Our player caused the abandonment, and while I don't want innocent players and supporters punished for an individual's lack of self-control, why should we get a second go at a game that we would almost certainly have lost as it stood?

And do the league really want to set this precedent?

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 am

Very surprised too, and I'd be livid if I was a Chesham fan.
As Ted says, we would have found it hard to come back being a goal down, penalty to concede, and a man down.
But I won't be complaining, we'll take what we're given all day long, even if we don't deserve it.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

https://redditchunited.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  porrohman Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 am

What RB said.
porrohman
porrohman
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 am

I'm sure there is some rule whereby if a certain minute of the game has passed (maybe 70 or 80) then the result stands. This game was abandoned with 40 odd minutes left to play; that is a good portion of the game where anything could have happened. The result was by no means certain. I guess the leagues have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, and that is late in the game.

And does our club as a whole deserve to be punished? We were let down by one individuals moment of madness.

That said, I don't agree with this decision due to the very nature of the abandonment. Personally, I'd like to see our club offer to forfeit the opportunity to replay the fixture. That to me, would be the honorable, decent thing to do. If the league still insist, then so be it.
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 am

Shocking decision.

However...life is for the living.

My advice: I would let Chesham score direct from the KO as a sporting gesture....I would also let everyone know that we intend to do this...Sky Sports, BBC, Match of the Day etc....get some bloody good publicity out of a very bad situation.

Reds were wrong...Reds have put it right.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Bob Marley wrote:

My advice: I would let Chesham score direct from the KO as a sporting gesture....I would also let everyone know that we intend to do this...Sky Sports, BBC, Match of the Day etc....get some bloody good publicity out of a very bad situation.

I like this idea. I don't think the game should be replayed but I can't see the league changing their mind.

OK, so we can't just carry on as we left off; we're not going to play only the remaining 40 minutes with ten men at 1-0 down. And I can't see us voluntarily getting a player sent off!!!! But to allow one of their players to run through and score a goal on kickoff is a great idea.

Agree it would be great publicity if we did this. We've had a few mentions in the national press recently; McKenzies punch on a ref and that Redditch girls have the smallest boobs in the country!!! Any publicity is good publicity!!!
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:25 pm

A similar gesture happened at a Millwall game a few years back, where the game was abandoned after a player suffered a fit at half time.
In the replay, the team who's player suffered the fit allowed the opposition to run through and score from kick off.
I think it was a youth game or reserves, but still a nice gesture all the same.
Let's leave this decision to the powers that be, but decent shout Bob.
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:53 pm

I totally disagree with the decision by the FA and Chesham should feel hard done by. I also agree we should let them score from the KO as a gesture as they would have won that game after the "Incident".
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  ted striker Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Agreed - even better if the player who scored in the abandoned match could be the player to score, as I'm sure the abandonment meant that his goal will have been expunged from the record, like it never happened. He should get that goal back.

ted striker
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Captain Carlin Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:39 pm

All very nice sportsman like gestures etc but I think most of you are being a bit soft, particularly bearing in mind our league position!

As I will go to the game (again) I would be totally peeved off to take 1/2 a days leave, pay to go there, pay to get in etc for us to conceed in this manner; we need to take the opportunity to try to get 3 points to move us up the table!

Captain Carlin
Captain Carlin
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  fingers Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:51 am

Agree with Carlin.

Games are abandoned all the time, sometimes at the fault of one side or the other.

When sanctions are considered for the game being called off, this is taken into account. Nice gesture, and I understand the sentiment, but why punish yourself further when there will be a price to pay anyway (whether that be for the player, the club, or both).
fingers
fingers
Evo-Stik Prem

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/romulus/

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditchbluenose86 Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:44 am

Fingers, welcome back by the way you old goat Wink
Redditchbluenose86
Redditchbluenose86
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:30 pm

I love the idea of giving Chesham a goal start. Imagine we're a goal up, been awarded a pen and one of the opposition has been sent off then the game gets abandoned. That's bad enough but to then be told it will be replayed would be an absolute choker - that's how Chesham must feel.

There are times when sport is not always about winning, and the replayed game will be one of those occasions. The resulting positive publicity and PR would also benefit the our club long term. I agree with Mr Marley's post on that issue.

However, the league have shown themselves capable of one stupid decision, let's make sure they don't make another by punishing Redditch United harshly. I am in particular worried about deducting points. A completely over the top reaction on their part if it happens but something that frankly cannot be ruled out.

If this does happen then I am with Captain Carlin and we should go all out for a win BUT.....

If we are 'let off' fairly leniently (and why not as it was no fault of the club) then I would feel very, very uneasy about winning the replayed game unless some sort of gesture is made, such as gifting a goal from the kick off.

If we haven't been severely punished and we go all out to win normally - and then we do win, I think we can all brace ourselves for a torrent of negative publicity and that would hurt me far more than the loss of three points ever would.

And If you care for our club I hope it would hurt everyone of you as well.

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  littleworthred Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 pm

mattim wrote:I love the idea of giving Chesham a goal start. Imagine we're a goal up, been awarded a pen and one of the opposition has been sent off then the game gets abandoned. That's bad enough but to then be told it will be replayed would be an absolute choker - that's how Chesham must feel.

There are times when sport is not always about winning, and the replayed game will be one of those occasions. The resulting positive publicity and PR would also benefit the our club long term. I agree with Mr Marley's post on that issue.

However, the league have shown themselves capable of one stupid decision, let's make sure they don't make another by punishing Redditch United harshly. I am in particular worried about deducting points. A completely over the top reaction on their part if it happens but something that frankly cannot be ruled out.

If this does happen then I am with Captain Carlin and we should go all out for a win BUT.....

If we are 'let off' fairly leniently (and why not as it was no fault of the club) then I would feel very, very uneasy about winning the replayed game unless some sort of gesture is made, such as gifting a goal from the kick off.

If we haven't been severely punished and we go all out to win normally - and then we do win, I think we can all brace ourselves for a torrent of negative publicity and that would hurt me far more than the loss of three points ever would.

And If you care for our club I hope it would hurt everyone of you as well.

no action is to be taken against the club.
littleworthred
littleworthred
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  arsene Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:56 am

From the Chesham Forum:

"Just to clarify the reasoning behind the surprise and disappointment at this ruling. The FA Standardised Rules cover situations where a game is abandoned due to the actions of one side. These rules are applicable for all clubs from non-league step 1 (Conference National) through to step 4. Whilst the rule does not compel the Board to award the points it is hard to think of a situation more serious than a player striking an official and causing the police to be called to the scene.

Rule 8.3.4 states:
In the event of a match being abandoned due to the conduct of one club or its members or supporters the Board has the power to order that the match is not replayed and to award either one or three points to the club not at fault. It cannot levy a financial penalty due to the conduct of a club."

I personally think the League have got it totally wrong. I believe we should offer to forfeit the game. If this is not possible (The League powers-that-be would probably have a fit!) then let's go ahead with the conceded goal idea.
arsene
arsene
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  allotmentender Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:30 pm

del boy wrote: and that Redditch girls have the smallest boobs in the country!!!

That's brilliant, I hadn't read that one Smile

As a town, we've always got publicity for strange things, Karl Watkins is one that springs to mind Wink
allotmentender
allotmentender
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:55 am

Chesham have decided to appeal to the league against the decision to replay the game. I understand why, but I think they are wasting their time.

From their official website.

"The Board of Directors at Chesham United FC this weekend took the decision that the club will exercise its right of Appeal, in accordance with League Rule 17.4 and Football Association procedures, against the decision to replay the abandoned league match v Redditch United.

Our own feelings and the feedback we continue to receive leave us uncomfortable with the possible ramifications of the decision to replay the game and therefore believe it is the right thing to do to assist with ensuring, what we believe to be, the correct precedent is set for the good of the game.

We have 14 days from receipt of notification from the Southern League Board to lodge our appeal. With that in mind we must ask that you appreciate our need to pass no further comment on the subject as we must not be seen to be influencing the decision outside of the Appeal. Additionally, in this unique incident we have taken the decision to close this topic of conversation on the Message Board forum and remove any new posts on the topic that may get added. Although the forum is unofficial and does not represent the view of the club, people outside of the club do not always appreciate the difference, and we need to avoid any misunderstandings. Albeit this goes against what the club believes the forum is for, Chesham United FC hope that you understand and accept these unique circumstances.

We will of course keep you posted with any Appeal dates and updates, but must now refrain from any further comment regarding the incident until such time as the Appeal has passed.

Thank you, as always, for your fantastic support."

del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down