Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves

4 posters

Go down

Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves Empty Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves

Post  Justin.Fowkes Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 am

Heres a little summary of yesterdays game.

This was my 7th game in charge of the reserves and with a record of 4 wins out of 6, going to arguably the best reserve side in the midlands, we knew it was going to be tough, although with the quality of the pitch we also knew that we could play the football which we aspire to achieve.

My first problem arose Friday night when the gaffer left me a text to say he needed Danny Payne (GK) as Catlow was ill. Naturally with a game of this magnitude I had to find a quick replacement. After a quick facebook message due to not having his new number we managed to pull in ex Redditch keeper Paul Maynard.

First thoughts for me when we arrived was initially dissapointed. Although the pitch was flat it had obviously taken a lot of water making it very heavy. Perhaps I was at fault for expecting a premiership surface. Very Happy

From the time we arrived I had issues. I picked my squad before the game but unfortunately 1 player decided not to come and after a few phone calls to which I got no reply, I then had to make the change.

Team to start was a 3 4 1 2 formation with Maynard in goal, Scholesy Jordan Porter and Chris Hill as the 3 man defense, Tom Hurdman Nick Cox Kaine Palmer and Hoshain Gabbidon as the 4 in midfield with Craig Malins just in front and Lewis Smith with Jamie Gifford up top.

The first 20 minutes of the game was a joy to watch. Redditch from the whistle really started to get at the league leaders and early chances came for Gifford and Smith. The reason I love football so much is its like writing a story. What I mean by this is for the first 20 minutes Redditch were the better side yet Quorn pump the ball long, there dangerous forward recieves it in and around the 18 yard box for him to turn and shoot. The shot be Maynard to make it 1 - 0.

Something bizarre seemed to happen the to us and the 3 man defense was starting to look like I may need to go to 4 4 2 due to my wing backs not working hard enough and there starting points being all over the place. After some consideration my thoughts were that we lost to this side at the valley 3 - 1 by having a 4 4 2 formation so if we can try and remain solid until halftime I can have a word with the lads to get it right.

Our break came soon after when new signing Lewis Smith beat 4 players in the 18 yard box to square the ball to Gifford to slot the ball home for his 26th goal of the season.

HT Quorn 1 Redditch 1

Second half and we decided to keep the shape after having our chats in the dressing room. What I saw from Quorn from this moment on I couldnt quiet believe and made me very proud of my boys. What they set themselves up to do was get 9 players behind the ball and when they broke us down they just launched it to there target man. At the valley they was more about keeping posession and shape, so I can only presume our formation was giving them massive problems and they must of felt that was the only way they can contain us.

With them putting 9 behind the ball Redditch had massive amounts of posession but in the final third it was like hitting a brick wall. After 60 mins it was time to make a change. Palmer came off and on came 17 year old Dominic Oliver to make his reserve team debut under myself. Dom is a under 18 player for the reds in the floodlight league and is proof that our youth system is starting to thrive. Dom was proving a instant hit with his sharpness and passing ability. 70 mins in and Quorn defending more and more we got our break. Hoshain Gabbidon from the left hand side went on 1 of his Giggsy style runs only to get fouled just outside the box. Being full of confidense he steps up to take the free kick and scores with a thunderous left footed drive.

2 - 1 and not looking like loosing I then change Malins for Ahmed Yusuf and Gifford for Dan Hayes. Quorn also made 3 changes at once and for a 5 minute period the lads were struggling to see what was going on due to Quorn pushing men forward to get something out of the game. With 7 minutes to go Quorn get a free kick and butterflies start to creep in and yes it happened. Quorn float the ball in the box for them to get a touch and score. I turned away so dissapointed as I felt we didnt deserve it. When I turned back round I find the linesman flag raised for offside. Phew!!

With seconds to go and Quorn pushing more and more forward we pump the ball long for Lewis and there keeper to have a 50 ball. Thankfully with his burst of pace he wins the 50/50 to slot home and bring back to Redditch a fantastic win.

Im really happy with the way the Reserves are at the moment. Since i've taken over I have fed Leavi Oshungbure, Seb Jenkins and Jermaine Hylton to the first team who have secured a place as well as appearances for Scholesy, Adrian Hylton and Danny Payne. Were 7th in the league with a few games in hand as well as being well up there in the form guide. Realistically we wont win the league due to results prior to me taking over but we may do well in the cup after yesterdays performance.

As you can all see there is a long way to go but Redditch's youth system is really starting to produce!!!!

Regards

Justin

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves Empty Re: Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves

Post  Leethall Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 am

Justin, good to see you report fella and top win that. Nice to see some exposure of the work you are doing with the reserves.

How is this Polish fella doing? Is he going to be good enough to play for the first team?
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves Empty Re: Quorn Reserves vs Redditch United Reserves

Post  Justin.Fowkes Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am

Don't ask

we have been waiting 5 weeks now for Crackovia to allow him to play over here. I think were closer to securing him for the rest of the season. His link up play is very very good but i'm not sure if he is going to be a out and out goalscorer

He has definitely got something. Problem with professional players is they are so used to having quality around them that when it comes to non league level and the cross or pass isn't always perfect then then they either have to learn to adjust or not make it.

Patryk we will work extremely hard with and hopefully when he gets international clearance he will prove to the fans why im willing to work hard with him.

Regards

Justin Very Happy

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  tho101 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:51 am

Justin,

Nice report, very interesting read.

Can you please try and make the same effort when the reserves lose though rather than just when you win, nice to read reports of all games, not just the positive ones.

Keep up the good work, any chance your side could play Tuesdays fixture on behalf of the 1st team? Lol

tho101
Midland Combination League

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin.Fowkes Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 pm

To be honest I'm not great at writing match reports when we have lost. I'm to honest which can be disrespectful to the team and players. I will try and better myself at honest media in future. Nice comment to think that maybe the reserves could compete a southern league level. :-p

Regards

Justin

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Reds11 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am

The reserves played the first team the other week at studley I heard and from the feed back I was given they are no where near first team level. What do you think Justin?

Reds11
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin.Fowkes Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Reds11 wrote:The reserves played the first team the other week at studley I heard and from the feed back I was given they are no where near first team level. What do you think Justin?

Agreed we were shocking. No where near!!! I'm not normally 1 for excuses but the game was short notice to some of my players who hadn't got in from christmas parties until 8 in the morning (mention no names) as id given them some time off. Plus we hadn't played for 2 weeks so we were rusty due to the weather. Too loose 3 - 0 to the first team when we never played well is a good achievement in my eyes and the lads must be somewhere near to keep the score so low. Kim Casey on the day recognised 4 or 5 players that were close and he told them after the game.

Football is all about opinions and some might say my players are no where near and then others will say they are. My only comment would be that I look for players that give 110% every game. If they can give that which my lads do then you can make them technically better, which will hopefully progress them to first team levels. You cant teach a brain to work hard. If a players lazy then he is lazy, but if go out looking for hard workers on a pitch but they do have a flaw here or flaw there then u can teach them in training. Look at academies nowadays. They are not looking for skillful footballers. they are told to go and get 100m sprint athletes from Birchfield Harriers and then they will turn them into footballers.

Baring in mind already i've sent across Leavi, Seb and Jermaine, I think were going in the right direction. My job is to feed the first team players and by all accounts most would say i'm lucky if I get 1 signed up. Well i've had 3 so i'm more than happy. Im also really working hard on bringing some local lads in that are not too far away from southern prem level. Bare in mind i've had my days on the cedar road so not only am I a manager but a fan also. It would be great to replicate the days of Whitto, Andy Smith, Wayne Hawkings, Kenny Fergie etc etc. All Redditch lads playing for there home club. That is what is also close to my heart. A very difficult job but very achievable if approached in the right manner. Again some 1 will disagree with me but as I said previously its all about opinions!!

Regards

Justin.

Justin.Fowkes
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Reds11 Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Yh I agree Justin football is all about opinions. I've seen Levi play a few times and your right 100% he gives, whichever great. I've not seen the other to play yet but know a bit about Seb. If there are more on the production line then great, keep em coming. I know you said you may not have been at your best against first team but they had simon in defence lol but keep the work up sounds like your doing a good job. It would be good tho as hard as it is to here when they lose just so we can find out about consistency and character of these lads!!!!

Reds11
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down