Redditch United Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aspirations for next season.

+6
Reds11
rawlings09
Redditch_Reject
oldtommo
rufcfan1
lewism5964
10 posters

Go down

Aspirations for next season. Empty Aspirations for next season.

Post  lewism5964 Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 pm

I have been following the Reds from a far this season but from what I can see is the team has a good core of young players playing some good football and if we keep the current form going we could finish in a single figure league position (Something I am yet to see since supporting the Reds, I was a bit after the Norman Sylla season). I was just wondering what you guys consider to be realistic aim for next season?

I have no clue what the current situation with the budget is but I can only imagine we are still running one of the lowest in the league. Are we looking to just gain another solid mid table position or is the club looking towards promotion?

lewism5964
lewism5964
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Aspirations for next season. Empty Re: Aspirations for next season.

Post  rufcfan1 Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:43 pm

I think it's a case of keeping the young players together, sticking with Liam McDonald, Nick Green and the backroom staff and seeing what happens, the situation with regards to budget will still be the same but I think the players currently at the club are promising. If we can gel the younger lads together over the course of another season and benefit from their talent, try and get some consistency going in terms of results and keep playing as well as we have been recently at The Valley, who knows what could happen.
Of course I'm being very optimistic but in light of recent results, including the Hemel game which I went to (a very promising, hearty performance indeed), then there's no reason not to be ambitious for next season. I'd certainly hope we could be pushing for those play-off places next season, no point in settling for mid-table - the Reds have achieved more than I thought they would this season, let's look to build on this season and get behind the lads!

rufcfan1
Midland Combination League

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:58 am

rufcfan1 wrote:I think it's a case of keeping the young players together, sticking with Liam McDonald, Nick Green and the backroom staff and seeing what happens, the situation with regards to budget will still be the same but I think the players currently at the club are promising. If we can gel the younger lads together over the course of another season and benefit from their talent, try and get some consistency going in terms of results and keep playing as well as we have been recently at The Valley, who knows what could happen.
Of course I'm being very optimistic but in light of recent results, including the Hemel game which I went to (a very promising, hearty performance indeed), then there's no reason not to be ambitious for next season. I'd certainly hope we could be pushing for those play-off places next season, no point in settling for mid-table - the Reds have achieved more than I thought they would this season, let's look to build on this season and get behind the lads!
entirely agree.
oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditch_Reject Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:34 am

It all depends on certain players. Lose Leavi and you lose the engine room, lose Hylton and you lose the fire power, lose Sammons and Youngs are you lose the good football. Keep them, and I don't see why play - offs aren't a reasonable aspiration for next season.
Redditch_Reject
Redditch_Reject
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:51 am

I'd like to see a more experienced goalkeeper next season if we're to have any real chance at playoffs..
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

http://redshoponline.goshopper.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Reds11 Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:21 pm

I have watched quite a few games this season and the football has been a breath of fresh air. Liam is doing a fantastic job on a budget which I hear is one of the lowest in the league. The players he's assembled are a joy to watch and really work hard for him. The players you mentioned are key for me but also keeping Liam at the club is important. He's young and I just hope Chris can make sure we have stability in the management of the club. A lot of people talk about how well he's doing and what's not to say a club at our level or below with financial clout won't approach. Playoffs, not being a miserable sod but we would have to a budget which could compete with the likes of Stourbridge. Liam's doing well but until financially we can compete with teams at the top I'd say it's another mid table finish, which don't get me wrong after what we've had to put up with the last few years would be brilliant. A keeper also I think is a great shout can we afford one that's another question lol
Looking forward to Saturday if we can get another 3 points I believe this season we could finish in single digets.
If so surley manager of the year!!!

Reds11
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:02 pm

With no increase in revenue...it will be nearly impossible to keep these bright, young players at the Reds.

If players are offered another $20/week...unfortunately they will move on...only the relationship with the manager will stop the player moving.
So I agree, Liam is the key factor here.

It is obvious that the current players enjoy his management and coaching style...that is why we are over achieving and beating sides much advanced in terms of resource and experience.

I also see the rise of the reserves...attracting some good, local talent feeding into the 1st team...all from a disastrous start, having to throw the U18's in at the last minute. Well done to Julian and Paul...amazing job, considering the circumstances.  

I just hope the council support the new ground...this will provide the necessary resources for the club to spring forward in terms of financial strength to keep players and attract more experience.

Liam is the manager of the year...no question. I hope he repays Mr Swan's faith in him by staying at the club and leading his side to a top 6 position next season.

Onwards & upwards
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Redditch_Reject Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Don't think a keeper is a must really, from what I've seen this season Catlow is a player who makes few mistakes and has excellent command of area and can dive well. Not entirely convinced by our fullbacks, although they have improved in recent games, so this is where I would strengthen first.
Redditch_Reject
Redditch_Reject
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

I'd be a touch gutted if the budget didn't go up a bit next season, if it doesn't I feel we're condemned to a future of "ah mid table.. That'll do!" Which to me is the same as being in a relegation dog fight every season, maybe worse, only difference being that going down may help coming back up, but that doesn't look Likely due to recent success..

I feel we are at the stage now where we should have been around 2 years ago, survival with a fairly consistent squad, but it's been a learning curve for everyone so hopefully we can build..

I fully understand if the budget doesn't go up next season, but a team pushing for playoffs sounds more attractive than a team settling for mid table/ survival.
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Leethall Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:37 am

This season has been really good seeing Liam settle in as manager and putting together a decent squad after the early seasons wobbles. Consistency into next season having done well these last few months is key, he needs to keep a core group of players for next season, these being Sammons, Hylton, Leavi, Mutton, Sterling-James, Youngs, Flanaghan.

What he needs is the board recognising this and allowing something more to let him build on what he has achieved. I am not saying bankrupt the club but this is the first team and to get more people through the gate it has to be successful with that team. He needs IMO a goalkeeper, the 2 we have are young and have potential but neither impresses me, we need a centre forward who can score goals consistently and 2 full backs with another centre midfielder.

The reserves having won the league last year seem to have gone full circle for whatever reason this season but I cannot see many players coming through to the first team immediately. Hopefully that structure settles in and works in the future.

What the club needs is a good start to next season and a run in the FA Cup to rekindle some interest in getting more people down to watch the club. What I would like to see is more idea what the clubs vision is for the senior side, it is all great having the youth structure and this working well and I commend the club and those involved for that but the senior side is where the fans interest lies. Liam will go onto bigger and better things in football, he deserves big credit for what he has done this season and should be supported to grow the club further.
Leethall
Leethall
Football League
Football League

http://www.rufc-trust.co.uk/trust/

Back to top Go down

Post  mattim Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Leethall wrote:This season has been really good seeing Liam settle in as manager and putting together a decent squad after the early seasons wobbles.  Consistency into next season having done well these last few months is key, he needs to keep a core group of players for next season, these being Sammons, Hylton, Leavi, Mutton, Sterling-James, Youngs, Flanaghan.

What he needs is the board recognising this and allowing something more to let him build on what he has achieved. I am not saying bankrupt the club but this is the first team and to get more people through the gate it has to be successful with that team. He needs IMO a goalkeeper, the 2 we have are young and have potential but neither impresses me, we need a centre forward who can score goals consistently and 2 full backs with another centre midfielder.

The reserves having won the league last year seem to have gone full circle for whatever reason this season but I cannot see many players coming through to the first team immediately. Hopefully that structure settles in and works in the future.

What the club needs is a good start to next season and a run in the FA Cup to rekindle some interest in getting more people down to watch the club. What I would like to see is more idea what the clubs vision is for the senior side, it is all great having the youth structure and this working well and I commend the club and those involved for that but the senior side is where the fans interest lies. Liam will go onto bigger and better things in football, he deserves big credit for what he has done this season and should be supported to grow the club further.

What he said.

I think we are at a crossroads. One way to go is continuity; at least try to maintain budget, keep the management team and most of the squad together, push on next season and the club has a bright future for the first time in several years, first team wise anyway. I realise there is some great work being done at youth level etc but it's the first team that 99% of us go and watch. The other is; lose management team, change load of players, cut budget, Then it's right back to where we were two or three years ago and I think most people cannot be bothered to go there again. Result; club dies on it's feet through supporter apathy.

One thing that does worry me though is whether the club is doing, or is capable of doing, enough to market itself. I stand to be corrected here as living some distance away it's difficult to gauge local opinion but it seems to me we should be doing more to get bums on seats. If we are to progress and not go back to the bad old days we need to be getting more people down the Valley. The first target must be to lift attendances to around the 300 mark. Monday night matches are a good example. According to my figures our average attendance for  Monday evening league games is 118. Average for Saturdays (before today) is 206. Room for improvement in the Saturday figure but the Monday crowds give a whole new meaning to the word pathetic.

If we can keep it together for next season I very much look forward to it but we are going to need to 'sell' our  'product'  to a lot more people in the town. Totally agree that an FA Cup run would be a huge, huge bonus but we can't rely on that. Might be worth starting a new thread for suggestions as to how we get the support back, and create more interest.

Answers on a postcard please.      

mattim
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  del boy Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Well, I can't see any reason to see why the budget will be increased next season. The Chairman has made it quite clear that he will not bankroll the team. He has a long term plan and subsidising the team is not part of that plan.

I admit, I got it wrong about this season. I thought that we were odds on favorites for relegation.  But Liam has assembled a team that has far exceeded my expectations. Will he be able to continue this good form for the rest of this season? And into next season? Time will tell. If he does, it will be on a tight budget.
del boy
del boy
Blue Square North

Back to top Go down

Post  Reds11 Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 am

The thing that worries me Liam seems ambitious and if the budget doesn't increase and we lose a few players i.e Hylton, Sammons and sterling James as much as Liam has brought some very good players to the club they would be a massive loss. The likes of Stourbridge would offer them sort of players a lot more than we can I would presume and as much as they work hard for Liam and enjoy the club, I can't see the staying when a lot more money is on the table else where.

I think we need to be progressive as a club what ever the budget is now a little extra to keep these sort of players are important, Chris needs to see that and even if he has to put a few quid in long term he'll be on to a winner because we preform like we have of late more and more fans will come back to the valley.

Liam and his team need to be backed otherwise with what he's doing will be a waste of time. It's the first time in ages since we've had a bit to smile about.

In regards to the reserves they were a better team that what we have this year but produced no players, at least this years team has in young the lad that scored against Truro. I'm sure Liam would prefer player production that the sucres Justin had.

I'll be down against worcester tomorrow a big ask but to get to a cup final would be great!!!

Reds11
Evo-Stik Division one

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Marley Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 am

Mr Swan said he would not bankroll the club from day 1....he was right to say this and now 3 years on (since the day he took over the club's debt)..he remains 100% correct IMO.

With other clubs now realizing that this level of football is just like throwing money down the drain...we will see more and more 'average' teams..of course, there will always be the fools who continue to throw cash at nothing more than an expensive hobby..but our club should continue to live within it's means until revenue increase with new ground etc.

I am not sure the club has a level of support much more than 250..even if we where top of the league, I don't think we would have much more interest than today...football is just too accessible these days and the thought of standing on the Cedar on a cold Monday night is not appealing to even some of the die hard supporters.
Bob Marley
Bob Marley
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  oldtommo Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 am

Bob Marley wrote:Mr Swan said he would not bankroll the club from day 1....he was right to say this and now 3 years on (since the day he took over the club's debt)..he remains 100% correct IMO.

With other clubs now realizing that this level of football is just like throwing money down the drain...we will see more and more 'average' teams..of course, there will always be the fools who continue to throw cash at nothing more than an expensive hobby..but our club should continue to live within it's means until revenue increase with new ground etc.

I am not sure the club has a level of support much more than 250..even if we where top of the league, I don't think we would have much more interest than today...football is just too accessible these days and the thought of standing on the Cedar on a cold Monday night is not appealing to even some of the die hard supporters.
If other clubs are realising that stupid amounts of money being thrown at a club eventually leads to financial ruin, then there should be less and less teams around to come in and pinch players by offering to pay them more money. If this becomes the case and all teams are eventually working on realistic budgets, then the main factors for a player being at a club will be loyalty,locality etc. This would be a good thing for Redditch in my opinion as the current crop of young players, and management staff seem to be well bonded and show a team mentality.
If we are resigned to the fact that the club is not going to attract more than 250 no matter what brand of football is played and even if challenging for the title, then I would have to question the potentially massive investment in a new ground. I appreciate all the great sentiment regarding chance to play for countless hundreds of youngsters, but the essence of RUFC has got to be the 1st team foremost. If we decide that 250 is going to be the top crowd and we accept (which I do) that the team has to be self sufficient financially, then the idea of ever reaching the conference is pie in the sky. A 3G pitch may be an earner but after maintenance cost etc I dont see it providing vast extra resources to improve the team by the amount needed to progress any higher up the pyramid.
oldtommo
oldtommo
Evo-Stik Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  rawlings09 Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:31 am

I'm not sure if it was a realistic or silly statement to say we're condemned to crowds of 250, I wasn't there during the glory days but I'm sure attendances were higher than 250, I was also in the crowd of 1101 for the fa cup replay vs Kettering a few years back...

Like leethal said, more needs to be done to sell the product, people obviously know where the valley is, hence why we had that big fa cup crowd etc, I just think the majority will still struggle to pay £10 to watch southern premier league football when you can sit in a pub and watch PL games and buy 3 drinks for the same price...

I think if we could get the interest going, getting 500 people at £5 is better than 250 and £10...

I also agree with Tommo, what's the point In investing in a new ground to have the same amount of fans that we do at the valley? May aswell carry on plodding along, finishing between 8th and 16th till people get bored... fluff that! Ambition is key! Keep trying no matter what!

We've acquired a half decent youth following, who aren't everyone's cup of tea but we can make an atmosphere whenever we want... It's taken years to get it but once it's there it usually stays..
rawlings09
rawlings09
Blue Square Prem
Blue Square Prem

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down